Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Comments

• Raini
    Raini Posts: 471 Forumite
    First Post
    Hi NG, not that I'm an expert by any stretch of the imagination but if it were me I would probably take the new mortgage on offer, get the CC's on 0% and pay them off ASAP - although technically you'd be better paying the mortgage off first if the CC's are 0% I would want them paid off first. Always nice to say you've paid something off completely!

Good luck by the way :D
    Mortgage: Jun 08 £155300~Repayment Made: £4300~Remaining: Mar 10 £151000
    DFW Nerd 1190
  • Hi,

I'm waiting for my mortgage deal to end in July and if i could switch to a better rate now I'd jump at the chance so i could start overpaying more. I notice its only a two year fix, can you get a deal on a longer fix? It may be worth considering as interst rates may be a lot higher when you re-mortgage in two years. Just a thought to consider. Also if adding your credit card debt to your current mortgage will push you over the 75% LTV it is likely this will be the case with other providers. This could mean C&G are currently offering you the best deal to stay, especially as you can finish your current rate early.
    Mortgage @ 01.06.10 £165,999
    Mortgage @ 31.10.13 £14,664
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Baby_steps wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm waiting for my mortgage deal to end in July and if i could switch to a better rate now I'd jump at the chance so i could start overpaying more. I notice its only a two year fix, can you get a deal on a longer fix? It may be worth considering as interst rates may be a lot higher when you re-mortgage in two years. Just a thought to consider. Also if adding your credit card debt to your current mortgage will push you over the 75% LTV it is likely this will be the case with other providers. This could mean C&G are currently offering you the best deal to stay, especially as you can finish your current rate early.
    I think I will look and see if there is a longer fix than 2 years, good idea. Now, next job is to try and find a nice mortgage overpayment piggy bank. found one today in a local charity shop today, but thay wanted £10, does any else find that their local charity shops charge more for some items than the items cost new, or is it just where I live?
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Raini
    Raini Posts: 471 Forumite
    First Post
    newgirly wrote: »
    any else find that their local charity shops charge more for some items than the items cost new, or is it just where I live?

Yeah I've noticed this too! (Although I live in Essex too, maybe it's just here!) I remember when charity shops were cheap but it seems they've realised the sell for more. Can't say I blame them but it is a pain for us looking for a bargain!
    Mortgage: Jun 08 £155300~Repayment Made: £4300~Remaining: Mar 10 £151000
    DFW Nerd 1190
  • SmlSave
    SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    hi newgirly :)

just to let you know that I saw the halifax has a helf fixed and half tracker mortage offer on at the mo which looks good but I think it finishes after 2 years too.

I've chosen a NatWest mortgage at 3.59% variable which gives me the option after 3 months to change to a fixed rate (better rates as I'm then classed as an existing client) They have a 5.09% fix for 5 years that way
    Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
    Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
  • newgirly
    edited 29 April 2010 at 7:31PM
    Hi everyone:hello:, i have had a fairly productive day today. Have been on the phone to the building society again, trying to find out what I owe again as I can switch fix as of saturday, i have just scrapped in at 75% LTV, apparently last week it was 76%, so its great having that in our favour. My other exciting news is the arrival of my mortgage pig! my mum turned up on my doorstep with a big fat pink pig with "worlds best daughter " on it, she is lovely,the pig I mean,(and mum of course!) I have been looking for one all week with no luck, now I just need to find some money to put in her. Have about 50p left in my purse, which is a start I suppose. :o
    I have also found an old purse which I am keeping my grocery money in, so its seperate from everything else, am trying a budget of £220 per month. I know that is a lot compared to some on here, there are dh and I three kids a dog, 2cats, and hamsters. oh and hubby eats enough for three people, so not sure if this is going to be possible! I do have friends that spend this per week on food though, most people I know would think me very strange to be spending so little.:rotfl:
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • pammyj74
    pammyj74 Posts: 3,290 Forumite
    That budget sounds very reasonable to me.
    well done on getting the mortgae to 75% LTV and hope you get a good deal to switch to.
    I was looking for one of those huge cola bottles to put my pennies in, your pig sounds nice lol
    MPs left feb '08 276- Dec 13 36 :T MB Jan 10 ~ £82,377 Dec 13 ~ £29987
    EMFD was Feb 32 :eek: NOW Dec 2013 its Dec 2016
    MF new target Dec 16 REACHED!! :j
  • newgirly
    :hello:morning , I thought I would update with what small things I have done to start my MFW journey this weekend.

• Joined pigs back and did some clicks(let my boys dress the pig in silly clothes!)
    • Joined love films free trial earning £22 via topcashback, just need to keep dh well away from this one or we will be signed up for the most expensive tariff ;)
    • Joined the sealed pot 2010 challenge,target£500 for xmas
    • rang building soc. got quotes for new mortgage over 13/14 years instead of 30, will decide which term when quotes come in post.still aiming for reducing to 8 years though:)
    • took kids to a very large market for first time, saw lots of cheap veg which I didn't need this time, but I will next time.
    • avoided spending on cinema etc like we normaly would and have only spent on a mc donalds for kids all weekend.
    • pursuaded dh to help with sealed pot challenge! hoping for £5pw
    Thats it for now, hope everyone has a good day:)
  • Wildchild_2
    Wildchild_2 Posts: 147 Forumite
    Hi Newgirly

Just wanted to say good luck and you're off to a great start! :T:T:T

Think I might join that sealed pot challenge too.
    [STRIKE]CC 1: £102[/STRIKE] / C[STRIKE]C 2: £349[/STRIKE] / [STRIKE]CC 3: £1000[/STRIKE]
    CC 4: £1000 / CC 5: [STRIKE]£150 [/STRIKE] / CC 6: [STRIKE]£500[/STRIKE]
    CC 7: [STRIKE]£500 [/STRIKE]/ [STRIKE]CC 8: £1183[/STRIKE]/ [STRIKE]CC 9: £1639[/STRIKE]

Total debt: [STRIKE]£6,423[/STRIKE] :mad: £[STRIKE]6,128[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£5,978 [/STRIKE][STRIKE]£4,099[/STRIKE][STRIKE]£3,639[/STRIKE]
  • newgirly
    Well I have managed to come in at £51.98 for last weeks shopping, leaving me with £3.02! :)
    Hovwever... drew out this weeks money yesterday and did a big shop at mr s and came home with 15p , so thats what I've got until next week.:(
    I'm sure I can get through without spending, as i bought some long life milk and can make bread, its just it takes some getting used to properly sticking to a strict budget!
    Two of the kids are off school for polling day and we have been asked to a friends for lunch, so am going to attempt to make some cookies to take with us, fingers crossed :D
    I have received my first free trial dvd from love film- hotel for dogs - which I thought my boys would like, apparently they have already seen it though, oops.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback