PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

August 2008 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• lingojingo-What a lovely idea and so clever with the fireworks!!

OB loves the wedding picnic idea for family after the ceremony. Then a few days later a barn dance with a buffet for family and friends.
    SFT
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
  • Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I'm in for August, but not got much clue about all the freebies, coupons, etc, etc, that you all seem to be up on! Is it really worth shopping online with the supermarkets? I'm so used to buying nearly every day, either locally, or in town.
    Angelnikki, can you add me to your list with £400 for August? We are me, DH, DS (16) & DS (14 months), no pets, 15 yr old Polo to run.
    Going to try & include petrol, & other small non-food things with this. 16 yr old DS got hollow legs, into loads of protein at the mo, so costing me ££!
    Brambles ready here in a few weeks, so loads of freezing looming, next door neighbour's son has an allotment & gives her loads of stuff, some of which she passes to us, so really need to make better use of it this year! Loads of rosehips in freezer to use before this year's are ready, too. Grown a few tomatoes - bit weedy looking, but fairly cheap to grow.
    Going to dig out all cookery books & use recipes on here - some look fab!
    Good luck with your shopping everyone, & hoping to pick up some more tips!;)
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • KAAT_LADY
    KAAT_LADY Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    lingojingo-What a lovely idea and so clever with the fireworks!!

OB loves the wedding picnic idea for family after the ceremony. Then a few days later a barn dance with a buffet for family and friends.
    SFT

fireworks are a good idea ,, november 5th good date ,,everyone celebrates your anniversary
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• *BigBird*
    *BigBird* Posts: 1,000 Forumite
    Congratulations SFT :D A wedding picnic sounds like a fantastic idea!

OH and I will have around 40 people at our wedding next year, just family and close friends - I have quite a big family so they make up about half the numbers, OH is also inviting his 2 best friends and their families to make up his side as otherwise his family would be outnumbered by my rowdy lot :rotfl: We've chosen a fantastic venue for the ceremony, it's a little tower on a hill. From the top you can see all the way to the coast in one direction, and over Dartmoor in the other. We both fell in love with it as soon as we saw it :)

I had worried about my Mum trying to stick her oar in and turn it into something to impress her friends with, but thankfully she's been really cool about it. Only disagreement we've had (so far) is over me wanting to make my own cake. She's insisted on paying for a "proper" one. So I'll let her pay for it (though I'll be picking it, of course) - if she wants to waste her own money, that's up to her!
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
  • jediteacher
    jediteacher Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Just popping in to declare my July spend - not good £289.23 :mad:

Will have to try a lot harder this month!
    'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.' :cool:
    Proud Mummy to two gorgeous miracles.:j
  • egon
    egon Posts: 439 Forumite
    turbo5019 wrote: »
    Chelltune good luck for next week. I want a c section I had to have one first time round. At first hospital said they will give me one but they have changed their minds I'm not happy. I only wont one as my DH goes off shore 10 day's after due date and if I go over due then have to have another c section got noone one to look after my 2 year old but hospital said not good enough. they are going to review it at 40 weeks 5 weeks to go. I have been baking for the past 2 weeks and freezer is full so when baby arrives will not have to cook.

Turbo Don't take NO for an answer. I was in a similar position with DS2. They didn't want to give me a csec. But my midwife said, that I have to stand my ground. I did, and I had a csec five days after the due date. I was happy with that, as I refused to stay pregnant for another weekend after my due date. (Long story!)
    So, tell them, that what they are saying is not good enough!!!

SFT Congratulations!!! :grinheart :happyhear :grinheart
    My wedding cost £850 including wedding dress. We only had 20 guests, as my parents couldn't attend due to very serious illness at the time.

Well, I had to go shopping today though. I spent £37.91 in total. Got two whoppsies in Mr M and some offers. Hopefully, all this will last us until next week.

Egon
    I wish Germany had a website like moneysavingexpert!
  • jackk_2
    jackk_2 Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Post
    Hello all, just popping in to decare for July, and catch up on reading all the posts. So........July finished at £170.00 :j :beer: :j
    Jackie x

• princess_leia_3
    princess_leia_3 Posts: 1,165 Forumite
    WEll, I made Mrs M's tortillas but I didn't roll them thin enough :eek: (they were VERY thin!!) and no way could I use them for our fajitas so gonna use them tomorrow for pizza bases :T and banana & chocolate crepe type pud :D

Will try and make them again but use a steam roller to get them thin! They are very yummy tho ;)
    Sealed pot Member target £200 - No. 151
    GC Yearly £3k so far £1097 May£220/£300
    £1k in 100 days so far - £235 :p
    Snowball debt free calculator says DEC 09 - lets hope we can do it!

• zenzen
    zenzen Posts: 11 Forumite
    Hi all

I would like to try this too.. can you put me for 200 please? There are 2 of us weekdays and 4 at weekends.

Thanks
  • Going to stick to £200 again for August. Away from tomorrow until Monday evening, and food from that is in a different budget, so hopefully I will have a bit left to top up with meat.

Good luck everyone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport