Moving someone into a Council house

Hi, my daughter I asking if she can move her boyfriend into my council house.

He is in part-time work so doesn’t earn much. But I am also not asking for any rent.

Is this legal? What processes do I need to go through?

Comments

• Ms_Chocaholic
    Ms_Chocaholic Posts: 12,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    How old is your daughter?
    Do you claim benefits?
    Do you want him living with you?
    Where does he live at the moment and why is he having to move out.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Yes, I receive a few different types of benefits as I have disabilities.

I am happy for him to move in if it is legal, and it won’t effect my living situation.

My daughter is in her early 20s and is trying to save to move out that’s why she wants him to move in.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 June 2019 at 11:02PM
    Girl65 wrote: »
    Yes, I receive a few different types of benefits as I have disabilities.
    What benefits do you claim? PIP/DLA? if so what award do you have?

Does your daughter work or claim benefits herself?
  • Your council can of course give you a definitive answer.
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    Your council can of course give you a definitive answer.

.... on whether it would be a breach of the tenancy agreement.
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Secure tenancies can normally take lodgers in providing it doesn't cause overcrowding. But this depends on the property.
  • dippy3103
    dippy3103 Posts: 1,959 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    If you are getting PIP, which component do you get as you may not get a non dependent deduction.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,216 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    Secure tenancies can normally take lodgers in providing it doesn't cause overcrowding. But this depends on the property.

Techinically he isn't a lodger, but her daughters partner, so in theory he will be classed as a non-dep family member, if she asks him for board so be it.

From a benefits aspect it shouldn't make much difference, just ring the housing office and check if he can move in and if it will effect her tenancy.

If he can then notify HB etc that he has moved in, in case it effects HB/CTRS if applicable.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 June 2019 at 5:52AM
    Be sure you are happy having him moving in. If he is a nice personable young man, no problem, but if he has any challenges, no matter how much you want to please your daughter, it can so easily become too stressful.

I am presently having a lot of problems through pressure being applied via a gf of my son. My son still 'loves' her, inspite of her being a bit erm difficult. You might have to deal with something like this. Not saying you will, just saying keep your eyes open to what happens if the relationship turns bad or there is a break up. Unfortunately when everything is honkey dorey and there is love in the air, one tends to not look at what happens at the other end. I am getting another lesson in cynicism myself lol.

Also remember that its a hard fact of life, if they want a place of their own, they will need to be earning more money. They can have savings, but savings run out, they need to earn enough to pay the rent/mortgage otherwise they won't get to first base. A LL/Lettings agency will have minimum earning levels to pay the rent they are asking for. Affordability checks with Lenders.

Be aware if he moves in and counts as an independent adult, your housing benefit will be reduced by roughly £15 a week, as a minimum. Whatever the actual situation, HB will assume he is giving you money for rent. But check this with Housing Benefit. I don't know if/how council tax will be affected.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Be aware if he moves in and counts as an independent adult, your housing benefit will be reduced by roughly £15 a week,

Not if the OP gets a qualifying disability benefit. They have said the6 get disability benefits but haven’t said what so non dependant deduction may or may not apply.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure