Cash envelopes

Jwatson
Jwatson Posts: 17 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 1 July 2019 at 3:45PM in Debt-free wannabe
I have read a lot about cash envelopes and how they can help with budgeting each week / monthZ just wondered if anyone had tried them and to what success?
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• Yellow_mango
    Yellow_mango Posts: 450 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Personally I never have or use cash at all, so actual hard cash envelopes wouldn’t work for me. I’d HATE it!

However I do use a sort of virtual envelope/ saving pot system which is very helpful.

I think it’s all about finding something that works for you and that you can stick to.
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    just wondered if anyone had tried them and to what success?
    I think it’s all about finding something that works for you and that you can stick to.

Cash envelopes, car jars, virtual accounts are all recommended. But as @yellow_mango says, find a solution that works for you.

You should also have an extra "jar/envelope" called emergencies for when one of the pots does not have enough money in it or for unforseen bills. It is all about anticipating which bills are due, when and for how much.
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • MovingForwards
    MovingForwards Posts: 16,918 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    When I moved and had to take control I used to withdraw money each Friday after work which was to last me for a week until I withdrew my next payment to myself.

From this money it would cover food, travel costs and bits.

If I had money left over, I would draw less out the next time.

My bills were on direct debit for the day after payday and I would always work out the following months bills on payday:

I would basically do an income and expenditure list, see how much money I have after bills, work out how much I could save and split the remaining money over however many Fridays were in the month til payday.

1p, 2p and 5p would go into a pot for dire emergencies from my change when shopping.

I did that for nearly two years whilst I gained control of my situation.

This year I mainly use my debit card as I have learnt to manage money, I draw out £10 cash and tend to have most of it left for the following week.

I also have a dedicated bank account for paying my historic debts from, so I can see how much I have for f&f offers.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • WhenIam64
    WhenIam64 Posts: 1,052 Forumite
    I also have a dedicated bank account for paying my historic debts from, so I can see how much I have for f&f offers.

What a good idea. I may nick that one for others.
    Unlike some here, I am not omniscient. If I am wrong correct me. I won't take offence.

The law is like an ocean - have a swim but don't drown.
  • JennyJukes
    JennyJukes Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I won, I won, I won!
    I don't like to keep too much cash on my person or in my house, so I don't do it.

How about keeping a note of what you want to budget for the month and every time you spend on each category, you add it in?

E.g, say you have a budget of £80 petrol a month, £160 for food and you spend £30 on petrol and £40 on food one week you would add it to your budget like so:

Petrol :£30/£80
    Food: £40/£160

You're keeping notes of your budget but not actually keeping the cash on person? Just a suggestion.
    Single woman doing it on my own... First house bought June 2021!
    Mortgage end date: 2041. Goal: Anything less!
    Mortgage currently paid off: 4%
  • Poppy1984
    Poppy1984 Posts: 628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    I use an app on my phone called spending app. It's been a life saver for budgeting. I have 3 accounts set up on it 1 for all my bills, one for shopping (food and household cleaning items) and a final called spending money which is basically for anything else I spend money on that doesn't fall into food shopping or bills.
    I track every penny in and out yea it's boring but it works, If I want to know if I can afford something I look at my spending tracker not my bank account.
    Because my bank account might show I have £200 but what it doesn't show is that out of that £200 several direct debit bills are going to be taken before next pay day and I will only be left with £40. My spending app does show me that so I go off that.
    19-02-18 Total Debt £30,322
    17-12-21 I'm Debt Free 🎉🎉🎉🎉
  • Jwatson
    Jwatson Posts: 17 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Ooh what app is this? What do people use for virtual envelopes?
  • Poppy1984
    Poppy1984 Posts: 628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    It's called spending tracker and is available for Android and iPhones.
    I use it as virtual envelopes.
    I have a "bills envelope" shopping envelope and spending money envelope within the app
    19-02-18 Total Debt £30,322
    17-12-21 I'm Debt Free 🎉🎉🎉🎉
  • clairebeth
    clairebeth Posts: 299 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I use the Monzo app based bank account. We have a joint account which we use for our monthly grocery budget which gets transferred there on payday. Then all we use the 'savings pots' to put money aside for anything else, like kids clothes, birthdays, haircuts, holidays, car fund, home repairs. You can name them whatever you want. You can also 'lock' the pots so you don't use them until a certain date. When we need to spend from a certain pot, we just use the app to transfer money to the card and it updates instantaneously. We also each have a personal Monzo account for our own spending money.
  • Ajw38
    Ajw38 Posts: 8 Forumite
    I do a digital version. I have my pay going into and all direct debits and bills going out of my tsb account. I have a starting account which I put my food budget in on payday. I have a monzo account where the money set aside for spending goes and I’ve just set up and rbs savings acc, with no online banking, to put my savings into so that I can’t access them as easily!
    Up until this month, it’s been really helping and I’ve managed to really get a handle on my spending!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure