My cat died alone and I feel so guilty :(

Comments

• cottage_retreatist, I'm sorry for your loss too.

I just wanted to clarify that (according to the Royal Veterinary College) hyperthyroid treatment with radiation is done with Iodine 131 (I131), this has a half life of just over 8 days, so would explain why you've got to wait weeks to bring him home.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I seem to be the opposite of many people on this thread.

Joly our one month short of 15 year-old cavalier was pts on Thursday and I couldn't bare to be present. I have a phobia of anything dead, but also want to remember him as the little dog who loved to work and was Mummy's boy, yowling if left at home ,even with my husband.

I had arranged for a vet nurse to cuddle him, as he didn't really know people individually, but loved a cuddle,but My husband d got home in time and was able to a take him.He had been unwell while I waited to see the vet, so was exhausted and slept on his journey to the vet and throughout, so he didn't know anything and I can have fond memories.

My last dog, Teddy, doesn't seem to miss Joly and is revelling in being the only dog (something I suspect he wanted from the day he joined my existing trio)
  • I’ve just found this thread. I have just lost my lovely cat Lulu in a tragic accident. We were away from our home last Monday afternoon for just an hour and a half and while we were away there was a storm and a freak flash flood in our area. Our garden was flooded for a short time. We searched for Lulu calling her. Four days later our neighbour found her under his shed. She must have tried to shelter and drowned . I’m absolutely devastated and full of guilt. I loved her so much. She was only 2 and a beautiful cat
  • Artytarty
    Artytarty Posts: 2,642 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    That is so terribly sad, I can only begin to imagine your pain.
    Words are not enough, please know that you and Lulu are in our thoughts.
    It wasn't negligent on you part, just very bad luck.xxxxxx
    Norn Iron Club member 473
  • Thank you for your kind words. A few years ago our dear Rosie died at the age of 20! We left it for a while and then as we missed her so much and as we are both retired and spend a lot of time at home decided to give a home to another cat. Lulu was a rescue cat . She didn’t have a very good start in life and was very thin. She settled with us very quickly and began to put on weight and became a very loving tactile cat. She was extremely pretty and loved being stroked . We kept her in at night and felt we were doing all the right things for her and looked forward to many years with her. I know we can’t turn back the clock but keep thinking ‘if only’ ... I really am suffering and can’t stop sobbing. My husband is also very upset but I think he deals with it differently by keeping busy and not talking about her. I’m trying to get on with things but finding it very difficult.
  • Artytarty
    I'm sure you are traumatised,
    It may a while before you settle can down and come to terms with it.
    Perhaps , in time , you may be able to give another loving home to a friend In Need.
  • As an owner who got called by dying cat early hours of Sunday morning (it was the most piercing noise like a baby scream) as her heart failed it was suspected, the vet said even if I had got her to them earlier in the day there was nothing they could have done. What a hole.

The worst of it was if everything had gone to plan and without knowing she was calling time, ironically the little lady was due to be in the cattery this week. I do keep thinking how they would have handled it.

Our pets really do make home, home as I'm finding out after 12 years.
  • Artytarty
    So sorry for you loss too Keepcalm.
    At least you were able to respond to your cat which wouldn't have been the case if she had been in the cattery.
    I know that sound too well, it goes through you like a knife.xxxx
    My old boy is now 16-1/2, I wake up every morning with a sense of dread.
  • I’m so sorry to hear about dear Rags. Yes they are part of the family definitely. Cats have a bad press I feel in that they are seen as aloof and not so needy as dogs. We have never found this to be true. Our previous cat Rosie died at the age of 20 and it was such an awful time coming to terms that she had gone - even though she had a good life. And now dear little Lulu taken from us at the age of 2 with all her life ahead of her. I’m finding it so hard to cope with the fact she ended her life in such a tragic way and we weren’t there for her. I do share your grief but we both will have lovely memories of our wonderful pets. Lots of love - take care xxx
  • Omg it's so sad... I feel so sorry for you :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport