Widow/Survivors pension and ESA

2»

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You have had some very unpleasant experiences - I sometimes wonder whether any organisation makes any effort at all to train those of their staff whose jobs mean that they must deal with the bereaved.
  • SandraScarlett
    SandraScarlett Posts: 4,133 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    xylophone wrote: »
    You have had some very unpleasant experiences - I sometimes wonder whether any organisation makes any effort at all to train those of their staff whose jobs mean that they must deal with the bereaved.

You're absolutely right. It is terrible that at a time when people feel lousy enough anyway, that they are treated in such a way.
  • Sorry to hear you too had many problems. I have to say the DWP were fine at first, very happy that I paid back straight away the overpayment of Terminal Award for DLA they continued to make to him for 4 weeks after his death. They sorted out the bereavement payment (when I eventually found out there was one !) and all seemed okay until about 6 months after he died. It's been awful since one department took over and they don't seem to have read any documentation that I sent in last year for them !
  • Amazingly I got an email back same day from Minister for DWP saying she would run with it for me ! I just hope she can get them to understand because I can't seem to.
  • SandraScarlett
    SandraScarlett Posts: 4,133 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Amazingly I got an email back same day from Minister for DWP saying she would run with it for me ! I just hope she can get them to understand because I can't seem to.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
  • Hiya
    Please appeal on this! War/medical pensions and esa is a huge grey area, my partner has fought for 3.5 years to get his medical pension disregarded and won the battle 4 weeks ago..now awaiting a backpayment! So keep.at them, we had lots of paperwork help from his pension people showing exactly what type of pension, I.e not an occupational pension, its been a hard 3 years but he was persistent and it paid off!! Keep on at them.
    We are putting in a complaint about how he's been treated by esa and the dozens of callbacks he was put on that never happened. Good luck!
  • Lea83
    Lea83 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Hi seamus84pea, did you manage to reach a conclusion with this? Is it still ongoing? I ask as supporting a relative through the same process, so any advice greatly appreciated. I too have experienced the completely illogical arguings of the DWP, when I first started helping with this I thought it would be sorted out quickly. How wrong I was!
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,932 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Lea83 wrote: »
    Hi seamus84pea, did you manage to reach a conclusion with this? Is it still ongoing? I ask as supporting a relative through the same process, so any advice greatly appreciated. I too have experienced the completely illogical arguings of the DWP, when I first started helping with this I thought it would be sorted out quickly. How wrong I was!
    It's better to start your own thread with your question. This thread is 2 months old and the person hasn't returned in that time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure