Water meters - pros and cons?

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    chrisw99 wrote: »
    The calculator estimated usage at 900ish whatever per day (can't remember the units).
    Anyone here with typical kids who get through a lot of water know what their daily usage is when on a meter?

The average consumption is 50 to 55 cubic metres, per person, per year; so a family of 4 would be 200 to 220 cubic metres per year,

The 900 would be litres - 900 litres is 0.9cubic metre.

So 900 litres a day would mean 328cubic metres a year.

Don't forget you can get a meter fitted and you have 2 years to see if it is cheaper.

This from United website https://www.unitedutilities.com/my-account/all-about-water-meters/

We fit meters free of charge - and you have up to two years to switch back if you don't find that it's working out for you.
  • Thanks for the figures, sounds right - my family uses double the average for gas and same for electric, so probably would be higher than average for water too!

I have concerns about getting the meter fitted to try it out. You can switch back now, but it only needs a simple change of legislation for them to say anyone who has a meter has to now be billed using it. Also once they see how much more they would make from me having a meter, they'd try and wangle it somehow so our bills would go up.
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Our water bill is not yet as high as it was before we had the meter fitted in 2006, I have no idea how much water has gone up in that period but I suspect it has increased by 50-75%.
    I do not think that having a meter will motivate people to use less water. Especially those who don't care about usage and can't be bothered to have water butts for the garden. Water is quite cheap actually, so washing cars with potable water is what people will do regardless of having a meter or not.
  • harrym1byt
    harrym1byt Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 18 September 2018 at 5:57PM
    chrisw99 wrote: »
    I have concerns about getting the meter fitted to try it out. You can switch back now, but it only needs a simple change of legislation for them to say anyone who has a meter has to now be billed using it. Also once they see how much more they would make from me having a meter, they'd try and wangle it somehow so our bills would go up.

I doubt they would or could force you to keep using the meter. The test it for two years option is intended to encourage the installation of meters.

They can however insist subsequent purchasers of the property, pay using the meter, once a meter is fitted.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    harrym1byt wrote: »
    They can however insist subsequent purchasers of the property, pay using the meter, once a meter is fitted.

Agreed, but they can insist subsequent purchasers have a meter fitted even if they don't want a meter.

Some water companies enforce this provision of The Water Act - other companies don't bother.
  • falcieri
    falcieri Posts: 195 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I moved into a flat in April that had a metre already so I was stuck with it. They estimated £300 (149 litres per day) for me alone so I knew I had to get the bill down. The metre at least still gives you the control to reduce your bills. By following a few simple rules, my bill came through today and I have halved my water bill down to £197 a year (50 litres a day) and they've simply adjusted my DD's down to accommodate it. Whilst metres may be more expensive (my last house had no metre and was £116 a year) at least I have been more mindful with water which we all should be anyway. Had I been on rateable value I probably wouldn't have been so respectful for the water. So despite everything I have heard about them, I actually think they are a good idea.
  • My water bill was over £60/m based on rateable value, this for a band C council tax property (small bungalow). With a meter it's £18/month.

I'm yet to work out the "con", the "pro" is over £40/month.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am seriously thinking about changing to metered water as I had it in a privately rented flat from 2008 to 2010 and it only cost me £165 nearly two years supply. The sticking point is I am trying to get out of this two bed flat as I live alone and am tapped up for the bedroom tax but as soon as I move I am going to do it , but if the wait is much longer then I am going to do it all the same.
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • wild666
    wild666 Posts: 2,117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have just enquired about a water meter and they are coming to do the survey on the 20/8/19 and fit it if possible I have been thinking about it for years. I had one in a flat from 2008 to 2010 and my yearly bill was only £105, when I moved out in December 2010 I hadn't paid for one years water in the whole time I was there if it had been on the the rate value.
    They told me I would use about £20 to £25 a month with a water meter but I think I would use less than that. All I have to do is keep the dog from jumping all over the person for attention when they turn up.
    Someone please tell me what money is
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Post makes no sense and is just a lead in for spam .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback