Which woodburning stove is the best?

Options

Comments

• redlady_1
    redlady_1 Posts: 1,601 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think what I am trying to say is I doubt I would have another Dovre (despite also having a Dovre 1800 in the living room which I love) but I would go for Town and Country again.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    redlady_1 wrote: »
    I think what I am trying to say is I doubt I would have another Dovre (despite also having a Dovre 1800 in the living room which I love) but I would go for Town and Country again.
    I don't want you to think I'm having a go, because I'm not, but even with that one stove you've been specific about, there's the option to run it open or closed, which will affect performance.

And then there are around a dozen current Town & country models, some of them probably too large or too new to be 'yours.'....but some radically different from others.

Anyway they all get pretty good write ups and many view T&C as a poor man's Clearview! :)
  • QB_Wolf
    QB_Wolf Posts: 722 Forumite
    Options
    Charnwood C5
    Dean Forge Dartmoor W5 or
    Burley Hollywell 5kw

Advice please?
    Start Date 16/09/2015
    Original amount outstanding = 225,000 Current amount outstanding =199,812
    Original LTV = 64% Current LTV = 49%
    Original Pay Off Date = Sep' 36 New Pay Off date = Sep' 36
    Original Dly Int = 17.17 New Dly Int = 17.17 Total OP = £1319.31
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Anyway they all get pretty good write ups and many view T&C as a poor man's Clearview! :)

'The sensible man's Clearview', surely?
  • sixtytwo
    Options
    We bought a villager flatmate from stoves direct in June last year,Prior to buying this we used a cheap one bought from e bay no problems with it over the four years we used it.
    Had our fireplace made bigger with stone surround so thought we would buy a bigger wood burner.
    Researched wood burners and thought I had found a good reliable company so bought the flatmate £740..........didn't lite it until Sept and only lit small fires for a couple of months.
    This week now in Feb 2017 nuts and bolts started to drop of the front doors (the ones which hold the glass in) so I let them know about being very polite,and they told me we had caused this by over heating!!!!!!!!!!!! now seeing how we have a thermometer stuck on the flue and we never let it go over 200 thought it was a fob off.Also they would replace the glass nuts and bolts at our own cost Which to my mind would be a complete waste of money as it would more than likely happen again.We are retired and use the wood burner it is not an ornament..Our son works in engineering and told us they must be using very cheap doors for this to happen.
    Did not happen on the £250 we bought from ebay.
  • Greenfires
    Options
    I'm afraid that nothing from Villager would be on my quality shopping list.
  • Lottie2
    Lottie2 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Lottie2 wrote: »
    Dartmoor W5
    Hi Mrs Davo, Welshbird & alscrackers I'm also looking at a Dartmoor W5 & was hoping one or more of you could give some feedback on how you're getting on - user reviews are still very scarce.
    Many thanks
    Went for a Dartmoor 5 with a back mounted flue because a W5 was too wide for the fireplace & the all of the plate is available for cooking plus stove fan. Like several others on the forum the stove is only used as a backup & after being away in the winter when it warms up the room faster than the gas central heating. Easy to light & clean though it did set all the fire alarms off the first few times it was used!
  • Crunchie81
    Options
    Lottie2 wrote: »
    Went for a Dartmoor 5 with a back mounted flue because a W5 was too wide for the fireplace & the all of the plate is available for cooking plus stove fan. Like several others on the forum the stove is only used as a backup & after being away in the winter when it warms up the room faster than the gas central heating. Easy to light & clean though it did set all the fire alarms off the first few times it was used!

Hi Lottie2,
    How are you finding the Dartmoor? Our local stove showroom stocks them and we really like the look. But like everybody else, we can’t find many user reviews!
  • rrtt
    rrtt Posts: 227 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    In reply to sixtytwo -

That's poor - in fact totally unacceptable imho - as far as I'm aware, you need a stove to burn hot on a regular basis (at least 400C) in order to prevent a dangerous build-up of tar in the chimney, which could cause a chimney fire. I'd certainly be pursuing a complaint - your stove doesn't seem, from what you say, to be fit for purpose.

I have Woodwarm Stoves throughout my old farmhouse. The oldest is from approx 20 years ago and is 8Kw; the newest from 2014 are much smaller (think they're called Wren (?)) - have never had a problem with any of them, all are a dream to light and clean. The Wren controls are a bit awkwardly placed if, like me, you have a bad back though!
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    rrtt wrote: »
    The Wren controls are a bit awkwardly placed if, like me, you have a bad back though!
    They're the same as the ones on my stove, (Firegem) but being down, out of the way, at least the handles stay cool.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure