Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 14 October 2018 at 7:46PM
    Wow. Maman.

When I was pregnant with DS1 I put on 4.1/2 stones. I was like a baby elephant.:rotfl: Mind I put on 12lbs in the final week, all fluids. My feet were like footballs. Believe it or not it wasnt down to overeating. I ate like a bird because The nausea was constant and I had no appetite. By the time my son was a year old, I weighed less than before I got pregnant. The second pregnancy was completely different. Again constant nausea but at six months people didn't believe I was pregnant I was so neat and tidy. Just goes to show how different our bodies are, that even our own pregnancies can be so variable.

Maman. Thanks - Yes I feel much better now - at least emotionally - for pushing myself, although still tired. Widowhood is strange, one day I feel fine, then for no reason I dip. Keeping busy is the best form of medicine (at least it works best for me). It would be so easy to wallow in self pity and give up but I won't do that. I'm no quitter. :rotfl:

My sister has been maudlin today (her words) about our Parents. She's been looking at photos. TBH I still can't look at photos of my husband. They are in a cupboard, safe and sound. My youngest son also has them backed up on several electronic devices. They will still be there when I'm ready.

I think the weather hasnt helped today. It's been very dark. I wonder what kind of winter it's going to be.

I might have to go in search of some sunshine after Christmas ...;).
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 October 2018 at 9:06PM
    Hello Ladies,

I took my sister H for lunch on Friday at Chicago Rib Shack and we had good food and caught up with each other's family news. I used my Groupon voucher for the 2 course meal for the 2 of us and my sister paid for the drinks we had and the built in service charge. :D

On Saturday I went to celebrate one of my great niece's 16th birthday at Frankie and Benny's Strand. There were 12 members of the family having lunch together. I made sure I took lots of photos to share with the rest of the family who were unable to come to the restaurant on Facebook. We all had such an enjoyable time together and for once my great niece was not shy, she was confident and sociable with all of the family. She enjoyed being the centre of attention for the blowing out of the candles and for cutting the 1st slice of cake. :j:D:)

As the sun was shining on Saturday, I was able to dress elegantly with my clothing and all of my accessories matching. I wore a Next linen mix cream and navy skirt with a M & S navy wrap over navy short sleeve top with Navy Van Dal leather slingbacks. I was carrying a blue leather Osprey handbag and a navy and cream Liz Earle Tote bag. I wore solid silver drop earrings, chain and pendant, a lovely murano glass beaded blue and pink bracelet and my Stainless steel and Diamond Ingersoll watch. I only had on black mascara on my top lashes as I did not feel in the mood for more facial make up and I only had clear nail polish on my finger nails and toe nails. As the sun was really shining I was able to wear my Ralph Lauren Polo sunglasses. :D

When I asked my 26 year old daughter how I looked, she was very complimentary which made all of the effort I had made worth it. :j My daughter is a very honest person and is not tactful so when she gives me a compliment it is very gratifying. My sister H was also complimentary about my outfit and co-ordinated look at the restaurant. :D

Today I have taken it really easy and had lots of rest. My son came home from his student accommodation to pay a short visit. :D He is really enjoying University and living independently. He too is a saver and a money saving expert so when he got his 1st student loan payment, he did not rush out to spend silly money on items he did not need, He needed a new pair of leather trainers but he chose to buy a really inexpensive brand from Sports direct for £25. He just continues to make me proud of the young man he has become. :D
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    sugar your weekend sounds perfect. Pleased that your DS is settling into uni life.

LL and maman thanks for your pregnancy stories, it’s nice to find out how others experienced their pregnancies.

Next weekend, me and DD are going to have some girls fun time, as OH is taking DS to a football match. I am looking forward to it as we rarely get 121 time. We are going to town so I said she can choose a bath bomb from lush and she wants to go for ice cream.
  • lessonlearned
    Nice weather for ducks. Lol.

It really isnt fit to go out. Luckily I dont have to So I’ll just crack on with the sorting and decluttering and maybe tackle the paperwork.

Btw. I have heard from both the Johns. John 1 pushing for a date and John 2 still playing it cool. I think I need a third John. One who is a little more dynamic and who will set my pulse racing. :D
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 15 October 2018 at 9:12AM
    maman wrote: »

From a fabbing point of view my pregnancy was perfect. The reason I was so small was that I carried her as a breech and although I didn't have morning sickness as such, I felt queasy throughout as she was pressing on my stomach. I lived on peanuts and oranges and had just one proper meal a day. I gained just half a stone and lost about a stone in myself so after she was born I was slimmer than I started! I have no stretch marks and my stomach was flat immediately and I had a bigger bust! I remember asking for a favourite pre pregnancy dress to be brought in to wear home and I felt fantastic.It was a long time ago but I remember as if it was yesterday. :)

Oh! It only took 60 plus years for that penny to drop.:o

As we know - my mother is tiny anyway and I was her first child too. It hadn't registered with me - though she said she was very ill on having me and so much so that she didn't see me for the first few days. I knew she didn't look pregnant when she was and, being my mother was absolutely determined it wasn't going to have an effect on her figure anyway.

I must have been a breach birth then. That explains a lot. Now I know.

Things were rather different for her with the second child. She said I was "short and fat" and he was "long and thin" and she had him at home (which was rather brave of her in the circumstances - after having had me). But I expect she had no option - as my father was away and her mother certainly wasn't going to look after me (as she hated children).

• Btw. I have heard from both the Johns. John 1 pushing for a date and John 2 still playing it cool. I think I need a third John. One who is a little more dynamic and who will set my pulse racing. :D

Even at our age LL - there's no need to "settle".

I think you need a "third John" by the sound of it. You had a pretty dynamic husband by the sound of it and men like that are probably few and far between.

Better to be on one's own than "settle" in my opinion. That's a word and concept I've always distrusted ever since a male friend (who had hoped to be more than a friend - but he wasn't lucky...) said to me years back "Most people 'settle' in the end" and then went to join his new partner and I took one horrified look at her and thought "Blow that for a game of soldiers - I'll never 'settle' - if that's what 'settling' means".
  • lessonlearned
    Money.....you are quite right. We should never "settle". :rotfl:
  • Money.....you are quite right. We should never "settle". :rotfl:

Hi all!

Well...on the theme of 'not settling' - we have decided to sell our static caravan. It is beautiful, and so is the site, but we decided at the weekend that the money we pay in site fees could be better spent going on different holidays with our little sports car that we have recently bought.

If we sell it now, we should still get a reasonable price for it, whereas in a few years it will be that much less.

We have contacted our site sales team to discuss the best way to go about this and are waiting for them to ring back.

More adventures on the way!!
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Hi all!

Well...on the theme of 'not settling' - we have decided to sell our static caravan. It is beautiful, and so is the site, but we decided at the weekend that the money we pay in site fees could be better spent going on different holidays with our little sports car that we have recently bought.

If we sell it now, we should still get a reasonable price for it, whereas in a few years it will be that much less.

We have contacted our site sales team to discuss the best way to go about this and are waiting for them to ring back.

More adventures on the way!!

We sold our tourer a couple of years ago as we wer'n't using it to get the full benefit. We've now been taking more trips away in the UK to places we havn't seen before - not regretting it ;) Dont mean to be pessimistic SDW but some times the sites pay well below market value :( sp hope you get a good price x
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    LL, definitely don't settle for anyone. On the other hand, a date or two might be fun - as long as the guy has no expectation other than company! :)
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure