Warm Air to Radiator Heating

We are looking to buy a new bungalow but most that we have viewed in a particular area have Warm Air central heating. Unfortunately my husband cannot have that because of health reasons.
I have noticed in photographs that some properties for sale have central heating radiators but the floor ducts are still in evidence?
My question is how difficult would it be to change to radiator gas central heating and the likely cost.
Many thanks for help

Comments

203846930 Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    It is quite easy to change, depending on the layout of the house, the cost for a boiler would be about £2000 and for the radiators fitted would be approx. the same depending on how many you wanted.
    Probably take about 2 days to do the work.

These prices and times are based on what I was quoted here in Fife.
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    nannym19 wrote: »
    We are looking to buy a new bungalow but most that we have viewed in a particular area have Warm Air central heating. Unfortunately my husband cannot have that because of health reasons.
    I have noticed in photographs that some properties for sale have central heating radiators but the floor ducts are still in evidence?
    My question is how difficult would it be to change to radiator gas central heating and the likely cost.
    Many thanks for help

Why do you not just buy a bungalow with radiators and save the cost?

It is not difficult to change to new combi and x amount of radiators. Block up floor vents etc.

Get quotes from at least 3 local firms.
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • Thank you, very useful information. Haven’t moved for 37 years, bit scary!
  • Hasbeen
    Thank you but we would if we could but at the moment nobody is selling those with radiators already done... I wonder why?
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    nannym19 wrote: »
    Hasbeen
    Thank you but we would if we could but at the moment nobody is selling those with radiators already done... I wonder why?

Probably because they are perfectly satisfied with the air heating.
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 26 January 2020 at 1:25PM
    Swipe wrote: »
    Probably because they are perfectly satisfied with the air heating.

Huh? The people with gas heating don't have warm air heating??

OP agree that warm air is an abomination. Local heating engineers will probably be familiar with the conversion and be able to give you a guide cost. But allow a good 20-25% on top of that as contingency against unforeseen problems before deciding if your budget can take it. You may also want to consider getting a plasterer in to block off the vents.

Also, how is hot water currently provided? You might need to factor hot water into any quote.

And perhaps allow for a few days in a B&B for your husband whilst the work is carried out and the dust settles, literally!
  • Talldave, thank you for your sound advice. I did indeed forget about water heating. My husband will be taken care of, our daughter lives 5 miles away so we will stay with here, hence the move! but we can’t afford to live where she does. Next best thing rather than 65 miles and we need a bungalow.
  • st999
    st999 Posts: 1,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I had a 3 bed semi with gas fired warm air heating.
    I had it removed and replaced it with a combi and 8 radiators.

It cost £6500.
    Some of that cost was in removing the old heating and paying for a new shower.

I am now saving about 4,000 kWh of gas a year and no longer pay SG £250 a year for a service contract as they were the only ones who would service it in my area and am also saving about 1-2 kWh a day in electricity as there is no longer a big fan blowing hot air around.

The only thing I don't like is the length of time it takes for the hot water to appear at the tap and is wasted and if the shower is on upstairs there is not much flow of hot water downstairs.

At least here in Scotland we don't have water meters.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Talldave wrote: »
    Huh? The people with gas heating don't have warm air heating??

I thought the OP was talking about moving from gas fired warm air heating to radiators. Is that not the case?
  • Talldave
    Talldave Posts: 2,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Swipe wrote: »
    I thought the OP was talking about moving from gas fired warm air heating to radiators. Is that not the case?
    They are, but in response to the OPs comment about none of the people with gas central heating having their properties for sale at the moment, your reply implied that this was because those people (with gas CH) are happy with their warm air heating (which they don't have?!).

I was confused!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport