Downsizing

Options

Comments

• SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I read your opening post 'cos i've thought about downsizing, saw the reasons you'd decided to stay and thought, yes that would put me off. But then have just come to the end and ............. you have gone. I think i'll go back and read the whole thread to see should i move to.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • iris
    iris Posts: 1,384 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Completed!:T:T:j:j:beer::beer:

Congratulations Belinda
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 14 April 2015 at 11:36AM
    Options
    Update: The bungalow needed more work doing than we expected.

The builder said it would be cheaper to knock the garage down and rebuild it (he showed us what was wrong with it, basically it had not been built properly in the first place). So it is gone. However, it lets so much more light into the kitchen diner that we are not replacing it. :)

Two floors needed the joists spraying with insecticide/fungicide and some in the kitchen diner need replacing. This was due to the previous owners blocking up airbricks so that there was no air circulation under the floor. This work has been started.

The kitchen diner patio door had no reinforcing lintel across the top, the whole gable end was resting on the window!:eek: It now has a sturdy RSJ in place.

Rewiring is taking place in two weeks, the little bit of plumbing on Thursday.

Our new windows are being installed on the 23rd April but we don't have to pay for them for a year :).

We have had the kitchen planned twice, but keep changing our minds so we are having it planned again on Friday :)

When finances allow we are having an orangery on the back, opening from the kitchen diner. This will give us a whole extra room, they do not have as much glass as conservatories so temperature control will be easier. Similar to this:

http://www.conservatories-extensions.com/wp-content/gallery/orangeries/orangery.jpg

Once all the work is done, we are fitting engineered oak flooring throughout (except the bathroom).

Much of the work has been caused by years of neglect and bungled DIY, however we don't mind all that much as we can get it done properly and it will look like our bungalow and not someone else's.

The garden is wonderful, it needs a good clear out but it is big and has mature shrubs and a couple of fruit trees.

I'm sure we'll be very happy there.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,022 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The kitchen diner patio door had no reinforcing lintel across the top, the whole gable end was resting on the window!:eek: It now has a sturdy RSJ in place.
    It never fails to amaze me how many times I hear of this happening. What ARE people thinking of?
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That orangery looks lovely!

Lots of work to do, good thing you hadn't planned to move straight in, SDW?

It'll be great whe you have it as you want.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • susiejq
    susiejq Posts: 154 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I've just read the whole of this thread.
    We are in our early 60's (me) and mid 60's (OH) and our DD has just announced she's not coming back from Uni leaving us free to relocate to somewhere that suits us better.

We do like where we live and our house but are car dependent. Also my OH's mobility is a problem and we think a bungalow would probably be a good bet.

We have had our house valued and if we move further north by an hour we are still going to be close enough to my parents and not too far from our DD. Property is cheaper and we can clear our mortgage. We've found a market town we like, researched it thoroughly, been and looked round, spoken to an estate agent and starting to feel excited. We need to make sure DD is settled in her new home, and working. We have a few jobs to do to our house before it goes on the market but for the first time in 20 years I think we're going to be on the move.

I keep looking at our house through the eyes of future possible purchasers - somehow, already it doesn't feel like mine anymore.

If anyone is interested I'll update as we go on - or start a new thread if that would be easier.
    Nothing is truly lost until your mum can't find it!
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    susiejq wrote: »
    I've just read the whole of this thread.
    We are in our early 60's (me) and mid 60's (OH) and our DD has just announced she's not coming back from Uni leaving us free to relocate to somewhere that suits us better.

We do like where we live and our house but are car dependent. Also my OH's mobility is a problem and we think a bungalow would probably be a good bet.

We have had our house valued and if we move further north by an hour we are still going to be close enough to my parents and not too far from our DD. Property is cheaper and we can clear our mortgage. We've found a market town we like, researched it thoroughly, been and looked round, spoken to an estate agent and starting to feel excited. We need to make sure DD is settled in her new home, and working. We have a few jobs to do to our house before it goes on the market but for the first time in 20 years I think we're going to be on the move.

I keep looking at our house through the eyes of future possible purchasers - somehow, already it doesn't feel like mine anymore.

If anyone is interested I'll update as we go on - or start a new thread if that would be easier.

Hi, susie jq, I certainly would be interested - stick it on this thread if you like, it will be good to compare stories :)
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That sounds exciting, susie. Good plan from a number of aspects.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Loving the orangery.....my son has one on his house. I think they are fab.

Looking forward to reading your story too, Susie.

I'm currently living with my son but have now started looking for my own place. I have viewed a couple but not found "the one" yet.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 17 May 2015 at 8:34AM
    Options
    UUpdate: Bungalow now has new windows and the rewiring has been done. Floor joists have been spayed and the kitchen diner floor replaced. The plasterer is starting on Wednesday. The kitchen is being delivered on Monday, and will have to go in the shed, because of the plasterer :)

Speaking of which, we have a beautiful big shed (looks abit like a cabin) and have been working on what will be the veggie garden next year. My husband has repaired the fence at the top of the garden.

The lawned part of the garden is fine, we have really enjoyed sitting in it. It is twice as big as our existing garden and so private. :)

Once the plasterer has finished, the kitchen can be fitted and we can begin to think about moving in. Our existing house should be on the market by then.

The woodburner is being fitted on June 2nd.

There will still be a few odd jobs to do, like fitting some driveway gates and doing a proper step to the front door instead of the pile of bricks we have at the moment (there was a disabled ramp there when we bought it). The whole place needs re-rendering, but that will have to wait.

Still, should soon be in!
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure