Your Bangernomics successes

Comments

• mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ordered a replacement belt tensioner/belt and idler from renault for £61.45 delivered so i should have that tomorrow.. hoping its easy to replace..
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • lexington013
    lexington013 Posts: 335 Forumite
    Well, result, bought the 03 Laguna for £510 and then managed to sell it on for £720. Guy who bought it was well pleased. 2 months of running round as a stop gap (and overseas daughter visiting using it).
    Worked out as a great banger buy.
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 21 July 2014 at 7:29AM
    When we lived in Spain, we ran our fifteen-year-old Seat Alhambra on vegetable oil from Mercadona (supermarket), it was so cheap to buy, sometimes we even had olive oil.

When we returned from Spain for the final time,having sold up, we had a load of olive oil in our storeroom and nowhere to put it in the car other than the fuel tank, so in it went for the drive across Spain to the Bilbao ferry. :)

This car did nearly a quarter of a million miles,we owned it for ten years, it never failed an MOT (and the standards are stringent in Spain). It needed tyres and brakepads occasionally and one replacement of clutch, cam belt and brake discs. Apart from a couple of cheap repairable faults with the gearbox, this is all we had to spend on it all the time we had it.

The car we have now is a Skoda Roomster, most definitely not a banger and we can't run it on olive oil :). I'll always remember our Alhambra with fondness . RIP .
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    ITV strict in Spain? The car was usually "ready" by the time you had put your wallet away (they only took cash) and sat down again!
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    colino wrote: »
    ITV strict in Spain? The car was usually "ready" by the time you had put your wallet away (they only took cash) and sat down again!

By 'strict' I mean they tested it with machines which measured tolerances, it wasn't just a case of looking at it and making a judgement.

We always had quite a long wait at the ITV station and had to drive it through all the testing points ourselves.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I think it may have been my virtually non-existent Spanish, but while it was the equivalent of our automated testing lanes, they (in Tenerife) appeared to pick and choose if the presenter sat in the car to do the tests, or like me, whizzed it through with one of their other testers in the drivers seat. Both cars I put through were ancient (typically underused holiday home cars) and passed straight through. Not saying they were over-lax, maybe just used common sense.
  • mcjordi
    mcjordi Posts: 4,238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    tensioner belt and idler came in at £61.45 delivered from renault themselves.. far cheaper than local factors.. did take me 5 hours on and off due to the rain on friday and i didnt realise i needed to take the alternator and air con pump off to get to the bracket which needed moving forward a bit..
    dare say i could do it now inside 2 hours knowing this haha
    noise has gone now :)
    Sealed pot challenger # 10
    1v100 £15/300
  • sabretoothtigger
    sabretoothtigger Posts: 10,035 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 21 July 2014 at 5:04PM
    Took me about a day to replace an alternator once I remember :o Couldnt get at a nut to loosen it so I chopped a spanner in half to fit :D
    Any work you do even with some mistakes puts you ahead of 99% of car owners. Thats why it pays off

What brought the Alhambra to end its run eventually ?
  • westwood68
    westwood68 Posts: 200 Forumite
    & don't forget that a day to replace an alternator (even if you have to chop a spanner) could be reduced to 3/4 of a day by lowering your tea intake
  • skater_kat
    skater_kat Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    i'm intrested in learning to service/repair my own car (currently have an old diesel vw transporter van). any tips?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback