iWeb stock and shares isa

Hi,

I’ve just opened an iWeb account and have asked for my cash isa with another provider to be transferred, 45k.

There are so many funds to choose from I was hoping for some advice on what to select.

I’m 50 years old mortgage and debt free. I have 250k in various accounts in cash. I will be adding the max to this stocks and shares isa each year and once I get a grasp of things probably be investing outside an isa too.

I’ve got a couple of final salary pensions. I would like to retire at 60.

I am planning to invest for at least ten years and have risk tolerance factor of 6-7.

Should I choose one fund or a basket of funds. Any suggestions which funds ??

I do have a stocks and shares isa opened with Legal and general. It is the Multi Index 6 acc I only opened it about four months and so far the 20k invested has made £600 so I’m not unhappy about that.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Comments

• lpgm
    lpgm Posts: 355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    No one should really tell you a specific fund, but there are plenty of threads here that describe 'global tracker funds' or 'multi-asset funds' in general terms.

You should really pick your investments first, and then the right platform for them. Or at least do the two things together. But anyway, IWeb is good for once-a-year lump sums.

I don't know what "risk tolerance factor of 6-7" means in practice. Will you be happy seeing your portfolio potentially bounce around a lot, knowing that you haven't lost anything if you haven't sold? That £600 you've "made" could quite easily be "unmade".
  • IvanOpinion
    IvanOpinion Posts: 22,183 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    When I was researching funds I found citywire useful
    Past caring about first world problems.
  • lpgm wrote: »

I don't know what "risk tolerance factor of 6-7" means in practice. Will you be happy seeing your portfolio potentially bounce around a lot, knowing that you haven't lost anything if you haven't sold? That £600 you've "made" could quite easily be "unmade".

Yes I’m happy to watch it bounce around a bit as I have a ten year timeframe and appreciate that gains are often made from reinvesting the dividends.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    As lpgm said, you really should have chosen your investments first, then decided which platform to use.

However, please don't rush into buying some random investments, mentioned by anonymous posters on an internet forum. No one on here can advise you, as giving such advice is a regulated activity.

May I suggest you start by reading around this website

https://monevator.com/category/investing/passive-investing-investing/

and also some of the threads on this board, where the merits of active and passive investments are discussed.

Then come back and ask more questions
  • I have had a good look at Monevators page regarding funds of funds

https://monevator.com/passive-fund-of-funds-the-rivals/

These two stick out as being pretty good would it be worth doing both as one has home bias and the other does not, that way it might smooth any sterling fluctuations?

Vanguard LifeStrategy 0.22 Stable
    LifeStrategy 60% Equity
    60:40
    Home bias
    Corporate bonds
    No property
    £ hedged global bonds
    Emerging markets
    Index-linked bonds

Fidelity Multi Asset Allocator 0.25 Stable
    Multi Asset Allocator Growth
    60:40
    Unhedged global bonds
    Corporate bonds
    No home bias
    Property
    Small cap equities

I will probably keep My Legal and General Multi Index 6 where it is as it does not seem worth moving over to IWeb for a 20k investment as the savings on charges would not be that significant.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Should I choose one fund or a basket of funds.
    If you have strong ideas about what you would like to put in the basket and want to be hands-on, then using a basket (portfolio) approach is the obvious way to go.

Whereas if you don't particularly care about the minutiae of asset allocation, and struggle to make a decision between two different styles because they both have their pros and cons, you are probably well suited to using a mixed asset fund where someone else takes responsibility for portfolio construction and maintenance to deliver the target objective. Ultimately it's your responsibility rather than ours, so if you want to 'hedge your bets' by buying a bit of two funds instead of just the one, no harm done.
    I will probably keep My Legal and General Multi Index 6 where it is as it does not seem worth moving over to IWeb for a 20k investment as the savings on charges would not be that significant
    If you're putting £hundreds of thousands in one platform, it can be good to have some investments somewhere else, just to ensure you can get at some of your investments if there is a problem with that 'main' provider.

That said, you have loads of cash so unlikely to be bothered by some administrative issue on a fund platform on which you are tucking a fund holding away for a decade. IWeb accounts are essentially free to hold a fund other than the account-opening fees and initial transaction cost, whereas if you continue to go direct to L&G you will be paying a premium level of charges built into the management fee, so that they can afford to run their direct-to-customer front-end.

As such, if the exact same L&G fund is offered by IWeb as a cheaper share class, (i.e. with a lower ongoing charges figure than going direct as you are now), you might as well move that £20k to IWeb. Might save you £50 a year on £20k for little effort.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    bowlhead99 wrote: »

As such, if the exact same L&G fund is offered by IWeb as a cheaper share class, (i.e. with a lower ongoing charges figure than going direct as you are now), you might as well move that £20k to IWeb. Might save you £50 a year on £20k for little effort.

When I was considering the L&G Multi index funds several years ago, IWEB didn't offer them as they weren't UCITS compliant. I don't know if that has changed, but they do offer those from Vanguard Lifestrategy and HSBC.
  • badger09 wrote: »
    When I was considering the L&G Multi index funds several years ago, IWEB didn't offer them as they weren't UCITS compliant. I don't know if that has changed, but they do offer those from Vanguard Lifestrategy and HSBC.

They offer the Multi-Index 5 but not the 6 or 7
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport