Comments

• Sgt_Pepper_2
    Sgt_Pepper_2 Posts: 3,644 Forumite
    Doesn't just apply to cyclists,
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 July 2012 at 8:16AM
    We could cut road deaths much further if we really wanted to.

It always seems crazy that I have to do annual top-up training as an engineer and accountant - or I can be fined/struck off by my professional bodies.

But I can pass my driving test at 17, and never have a further day of training ever, not even when I reach 70. And my driving is much more likely to kill someone than my engineering or accounting.

I see people daily who are oblivious to the risks they are causing to themselves and others. Driving too close, not paying attention, using a mobile while driving, etc. I can only think that they either don't know what they're doing, or don't care.

I strongly believe that every driver should have some top-up training (not a test) every 2-3 years.

Instead we have a system that ignores the issues, and lets the bad habits get worse and worse. But then when the worst happens, we (maybe) throw the book at a driver who made the error - eg. up to 14 years in jail for causing death by dangerous drivinng.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    custardy wrote: »

This is why a lot of cyclists are now turning to helmet camera's..... Drivers get away with this because there's never any evidence, but in cases where they've been caught on camera, the prosecution has almost always been swift and harsh.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    marlot wrote: »
    We could cut road deaths much further if we really wanted to.

It always seems crazy that I have to do annual top-up training as an engineer and accountant - or I can be fined/struck off by my professional bodies.

But I can pass my driving test at 17, and never have a further day of training ever, not even when I reach 70. And my driving is much more likely to kill someone than my engineering or accounting.

I see people daily who are oblivious to the risks they are causing to themselves and others. Driving too close, not paying attention, using a mobile while driving, etc. I can only think that they either don't know what they're doing, or don't care.

I strongly believe that every driver should have some top-up training (not a test) every 2-3 years.

Instead we have a system that ignores the issues, and lets the bad habits get worse and worse. But then when the worst happens, we (maybe) throw the book at a driver who made the error - eg. up to 14 years in jail for causing death by dangerous drivinng.

have to agree. I've been driving for over 20 years now
    plus I have the 'old' licence with the extra driving classifications by default.
    probably every 10 years would be a practical soft introduction to retesting.
  • Paradigm
    Paradigm Posts: 3,613 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    marlot wrote: »

I like this idea, a compulsory hour or so with an approved instructor every few years makes sense to me.

Lets not forget though, cyclists can take to the road with no formal training whatsoever which seems ludicrous given that they are the most vulnerable.
    Maybe some kind of safe riding course is needed?
    Always try to be at least half the person your dog thinks you are!
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    I'd like to see motorists tested regularly, as it appears to me that some of them are not safe to be on the roads.

I would also like to see more cycle training, I did the cycling proficiency test at school but there were only about half a dozen of us on it.
  • custardy
    Paradigm wrote: »
    I like this idea, a compulsory hour or so with an approved instructor every few years makes sense to me.

Lets not forget though, cyclists can take to the road with no formal training whatsoever which seems ludicrous given that they are the most vulnerable.
    Maybe some kind of safe riding course is needed?

In the majority(from my experience) of deaths/injuries
    the cyclist being 'trained' would have little bearing
    look at those links
    experienced cyclists
    the last 2 deaths in Edinburgh(theres been 4 in the last year)
    experienced/enthusiast cyclists(no charges in any of the four to my knowledge)
    In reality the a change in attitude from a massive percentage of drivers would have a far greater benefit.
    My last near death encounter was down to a taxi driver squeezing me off the road. an attempt to 'save' himself a few(at most) seconds.
    6 months later I'm paying out £00's in treatments,still not back on the bike,paying £00s in fuel and have the possibility of permanent nerve damage.
  • Paradigm
    In the majority(from my experience) of deaths/injuries
    the cyclist being 'trained' would have little bearing
    look at those links
    experienced cyclists
    the last 2 deaths in Edinburgh(theres been 4 in the last year)
    experienced/enthusiast cyclists(no charges in any of the four to my knowledge)
    In reality the a change in attitude from a massive percentage of drivers would have a far greater benefit.
    My last near death encounter was down to a taxi driver squeezing me off the road. an attempt to 'save' himself a few(at most) seconds.
    6 months later I'm paying out £00's in treatments,still not back on the bike,paying £00s in fuel and have the possibility of permanent nerve damage.

I recognise what you are saying but some kind of formal training for cyclists can only be good surely?

Ok, no amount of training will account for every situation/idiot but if it makes a cyclist more aware of the dangers then it helps minimise risk.
  • custardy
    Paradigm wrote: »
    I recognise what you are saying but some kind of formal training for cyclists can only be good surely?

Ok, no amount of training will account for every situation/idiot but if it makes a cyclist more aware of the dangers then it helps minimise risk.

but how do you police that?
    you then need to register every bike in the UK?
    every rider?
    from what age?
  • Paradigm
    but how do you police that?
    you then need to register every bike in the UK?
    every rider?
    from what age?

I haven't said it has to be compulsory.

It could be a free Government sponsered scheme with some incentives chucked in to encourage cyclists to take part... I dunno, maybe 12 months free accident cover if you attend.

To be honest it's not something I've sat & planned for months but it's just not logical to have no training for the most vulnerable road users.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure