How to check your Internet usage (bandwidth)

Comments

• JohnH_BETF
    JohnH_BETF Posts: 3 Newbie
    edited 30 January 2012 at 10:02PM
    Read the Privacy Policy/Software Licence of these Broadband meters very carefully. Most of them, tbbmeter included, send information about your broadband usage back to the software providers servers.

The information sent back is supposed to be anonymous but.... it depends on how much you trust them!
  • I switched to Networx, which collates all PCs usage very simply, is able to ignore WiFi usage between PCs and has an easy option to set unmetered usage. I wouldn't go back to Netmeter.

Thanks for the tip. Networx works and can monitor your router (if it's reasonably up-to-date) which allows you to view all your traffic, including Wi-Fi devices like laptops, tablets and gaming consoles.
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 28 February 2012 at 11:18AM
    andrew164 wrote: »
    I recently installed a bandwidth meter that I downloaded at the following site

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tbbmeter.html

I've had it on my desktop pc for several days and it seems very good.

It took me ages to find this! I went onto mybt and went through gawd knows how many pages trying to find out what my usage was and couldn't find a page that would tell me - not even in "manage your broadband" blah blah blah...

LOTS of blah blah blah...

Finished up on live chat (which my Firefox really didn't like so I had to use Internet Exploder <spit>) and after "chatting" to two different people was called by a supervisor who ALSO couldn't tell me how to find my usage - so I got passed on to yet another section.

It took another ten minutes before she finally pointed me to thinkbroadband and the download for their monitor programme.

According to my brand new monitor I had used 0KB in the past month. Really? So I'm now waiting for yet another call back from BT.

Just checked it again and there's clearly a delay before it picks up the data because I now have an honest to goodness reading for my usage. I was going to try and cancel the call back until I realised that the monitor was showing one full gigabyte LESS usage than their billing people told me about. So I'll wait for the call and try and find out why there's a discrepancy. Nope! It's actually showing me KB's since starting today and not gigs in the billing period. So it's not picking up data from BT... which is what I actually want to know. They've told me directly - I've used 6.2GB but nowhere can I source THAT information for myself. I must be missing something somewhere, but then, so must their customer help people because nobody has been able to tell me where *I* find that same info.

<sigh> It shouldn't be this hard. That's over an hour now to do something that should take less than five minutes.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • alterego wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip. Networx works and can monitor your router (if it's reasonably up-to-date) which allows you to view all your traffic, including Wi-Fi devices like laptops, tablets and gaming consoles.
    Router monitoring a fairly recent addition, but my Netgear DG834G router can't use it. It means that our PCs are the only things monitored and all the smartphones, etc are ignored :( Mind you, I guess they shouldn't be huge users.

That reminds me - I must find out what it needs and see if a firmware update on the router might fix it...
    Jumbo

"You may have speed, but I have momentum"
  • closed
    closed Posts: 10,886 Forumite
    edited 28 February 2012 at 9:05PM
    Router monitoring a fairly recent addition, but my Netgear DG834G router can't use it. It means that our PCs are the only things monitored and all the smartphones, etc are ignored...

http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/files.htm
    !!
    > . !!!! ----> .
  • closed wrote: »
    I meant router monitoring was fairly recent to Networx.

I spent many hours working with RouterStats, but couldn't make head nor tail of the info that came out. Very worthy software as it primarily monitors the "health" of your broadband, but I couldn't get it to give me the info I wanted...
    Jumbo

"You may have speed, but I have momentum"
  • closed
    closed Posts: 10,886 Forumite
    The download/upload info is found on the telnet screen, just tell it the ip address, and password, and click the "play" button
    !!
    > . !!!! ----> .
  • squeaky wrote: »
    It took me ages to find this! I went onto mybt and went through gawd knows how many pages trying to find out what my usage was and couldn't find a page that would tell me - not even in "manage your broadband" blah blah blah...

LOTS of blah blah blah...

Finished up on live chat (which my Firefox really didn't like so I had to use Internet Exploder <spit>) and after "chatting" to two different people was called by a supervisor who ALSO couldn't tell me how to find my usage - so I got passed on to yet another section.

It took another ten minutes before she finally pointed me to thinkbroadband and the download for their monitor programme.

According to my brand new monitor I had used 0KB in the past month. Really? So I'm now waiting for yet another call back from BT.

Just checked it again and there's clearly a delay before it picks up the data because I now have an honest to goodness reading for my usage. I was going to try and cancel the call back until I realised that the monitor was showing one full gigabyte LESS usage than their billing people told me about. So I'll wait for the call and try and find out why there's a discrepancy. Nope! It's actually showing me KB's since starting today and not gigs in the billing period. So it's not picking up data from BT... which is what I actually want to know. They've told me directly - I've used 6.2GB but nowhere can I source THAT information for myself. I must be missing something somewhere, but then, so must their customer help people because nobody has been able to tell me where *I* find that same info.

<sigh> It shouldn't be this hard. That's over an hour now to do something that should take less than five minutes.

I too had a similar experience . No one at BT could tell me how to get monthly historic figures to justify a claim (and a bill!) for overreaching my limt (10) Apparently they can only review the last 7 days and then it is deleted from their system. They then advise the overrun 10 days after the end of the period. Personally I have better things to do but continuously check my usage and it seems fundamentally wrong to be charged for something that they are unable to support with data.
  • marykabrown
    marykabrown Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 2 April 2012 at 11:55AM
    Can we use this net meter windows 7??????
    Mary Brown is a Business Development Manager with 12 years experience in the field of Business Transcription, audio transcription and voice transcription. She works for Synergy Transcription Services,New Jersey, USA.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    ^^ spam_small.gif ^^
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business