How to check your Internet usage (bandwidth)

Comments

• MrBeans
    MrBeans Posts: 135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I have downloaded NetMeter from here http://www.metal-machine.de/readerror/index.php?PHPSESSID=e294987b0a031356fa32b251d7ea5550&action=tpmod;dl=item14 and it gives me exactly what I wanted: a cumulative statement of how much bandwidth I have used.

Thank you for posting the link.
  • dodong
    dodong Posts: 10 Forumite
    Hi, how did you come across this? It's brilliant. :)
  • tlck9 wrote: »
    how do I get my usage if I'm on Mac, I've checked my router and cannot see anywhere immediately that would give me usage?? its a belkin router so if its hidden please let me know.

Any ideas

If you're on a Mac and you want to monitor your bandwidth usage, try SurplusMeter. It won't be able to tell you what you've used in the past (i.e. before you installed it), but once it's installed, it monitors and keeps a record of all your usage for historical reference. It's donationware (so make sure you buy the developer a beer or two if you like it).

Available here:
    http://freespace.virgin.net/jeremy.dronfield/skoobysoft/utilities/utilities.html
    Fasthosts ruined my life
  • Thanks for this thread, just got G3 with a 5 GB limit, but their software seems to be very unreliable and have exceeded the limit by £50.00 or 500 MB. Not the best system in the world it would seem. Called in to 3 shop and was told just that the software is made by the modem manufacturer not them and I should use the my3 part of website to see the exact usage. Not much help now I am over my limit. Anyone else fallen foul of this one?
  • Hi everyone, I installed this net meter on the 6th August, working ok, I thought, but then yesterday I got an email from BT saying I had used 13 GB, my allowance is 10 GB. Thing is the net meter shows I have used 4.680 GB for this period. I phoned BT and they said the net meter is wrong. I asked what my usage was for September and he said 9 GB whereas the net meter shows 3.909 GB for that month. Is it the net meter that is wrong and if so are there more reliable ones that can be downloaded. Bt also said to download another one and see what that says at the end of this month. Another thing is the man I spoke to at BT said since the 1st of November we have already used 1.6 GB, which sounds an awful lot in a few days, oh and net meter shows 255.82 mb since the 1st. Thankyou.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    tjs1963 wrote: »
    Another thing is the man I spoke to at BT said since the 1st of November we have already used 1.6 GB, which sounds an awful lot in a few days, oh and net meter shows 255.82 mb since the 1st. Thankyou.

Do you have a wireless network? Sounds like someone else is using your bandwidth!
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • No I dont have wireless, so I guess the meter could be wrong, dont have a ps3 or x box either which the man at bt mentioned. Thanks.
  • Thanks loaner, but who do I ask for a MACode from. BT are expensive compared to others, I have been looking around but I think I will be getting rid of broadband July next year so dont really want to sign up to another contract. I did add up and down load to get the totals, I have also installed another usage meter and this morning one shows 3.58 mb total and the other shows 3.41 mb used today, dont know if i should have 2 on my computer at the same time, I just wanted to compare them really. Thanks again.
  • I recently installed a bandwidth meter that I downloaded at the following site

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tbbmeter.html

I've had it on my desktop pc for several days and it seems very good.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    andrew164 wrote: »
    I recently installed a bandwidth meter that I downloaded at the following site

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tbbmeter.html

I've had it on my desktop pc for several days and it seems very good.

Please be aware that this TTBM software also installs Isposure software written by Epitiro on your PC, which periodically carries out various automated tests using your bandwidth. Even if the TTBM software is uninstalled, the Isposure software is not!

Stick to a well proven bandwidth monitoring program like NetMeter, as it does exactly what it says on the tin, without any hidden agenda and without needing to release fixes on a daily basis like TTBM.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure