£165k in 10 years. Can it be done?

Hi !!!128075;

Any opinions? Success stories? Where to even start?

(We are 2 adults with joint income of approx £80k and 2 young kids).

Thanks!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Yes, it can be done.

Looking at your income and outgoings is your starting point.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Yes.
    We're Londoners in that situation, 150k over eight years.
    As zx81 says, make a spreadsheet of your income and outgoings.
    Pay off all credit and store card debt.
    Get the cheapest (re)mortgage you can find. Overpay when possible.
    Shopping in Aldi and Lidl.
    Run second-hand cars bought in cheaper parts of Britain, using cheapest insurance and breakdown service.
    Changing uitilties and insurances annually if necessary.
    No takeaways, plan and cook all our meals, and make lunches.
    Do all the overtime we can get.
    Stuff the maximum into pensions we can get.
    Cheap non-fancy phones on cheapest monthly contracts.
    Timing purchases to avoid current account overdrafts.
    Avoiding the lure of new consumer toys, fripperies and gewgaws.Paying off credit cards completely to avoid interest while getting consu.mer protection.
    Spending far too much time on this website.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • mortgageFTB
    mortgageFTB Posts: 249 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It can be done!

Our opening mortgage balance was 160k, the balance is currently 90k after 3 years. We are at our overpayment limit for this year. When our fixed rate is over next year, the balance will reduce to approx ~35k.
  • VDOT47
    VDOT47 Posts: 277 Forumite
    Yes, very much so. On that income you should be able to set aside up to £1000 per month for savings and overpayments, which would see a mortgage that size paid off in 6 or 7 years, so doing it in 10 if definitely very doable ..... unless you have some massive unsecured debts or other big outgoings each month which would make overpayments of that size difficult.

Put it this way, we have a lower combined salary than you and I think we could have paid off a mortgage of £245,000 in 7 or 8 years.

Good luck!
    Original Mortgage (Feb '17) £269,995
    Current Mortgage (End 11/19) £226,790
    End Date November 2039 Original End Date February 2042
  • louloubelle79
    louloubelle79 Posts: 411 Forumite
    First Post
    You can do it if your sensible; we are aiming to clear our mortgage in 10 years ( 115k) starting total on joint salary of 45k with two small kids. 18 months in total 102k still a long way to go but working hard to save; pay pensions and being frugal :money::money:
  • kev2009
    kev2009 Posts: 1,039 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Interesting thread and opinions, i'm hoping to clear my mortgage in 13 years fingers crossed. I'm on a 5 year fixed at the moment (ends in 2020) and then i'm currently thinking of fixing again for 5 years and then re-evaluating where i'm at and then possibly fixing for 2 years and then maybe 1 year fixed or variable (depending on the rates) and then pay off the remainder after that. I currently owe approx 118.5k, income of 35k, single person. It might be a bit tight tbh. To date I have not overpaid anything as I've been buying bits and pieces etc for property etc so its taken a while as i put all i had down for deposit etc, leaving myself a bit of a cushion should anything drastic happen. So fingers crossed, 13 years i hope to be done. I was looking to overpay this year but had some unexpected things to come up and its currently on going (along with costs) so i don't have a exact figure it will cost so makes it hard to say right i need x for this and i can put the rest on the mortgage so at the moment i'm currently thinking to overpay maybe 2k on my mortgage this year and then next year i'm going to try get as close as I can to the 10% limit i'm allowed before i have to pay a hefty charge for overpaying.

So fingers crossed, i'm hoping i can do it in 13 years, would be great. I figure if i work at it and meet or get close to my targets then worse case scenario, i'll low a much much lower figure and my repayments would be pretty low if the worst happened. I'm also paying into my works pension so its all a balance.

Kev
  • aj9648
    aj9648 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Yes it can be - we did £150k in 5 years. We have 2 kids and all made sure we didn!!!8217;t sacrifice a lot

Discipline is key and overpay as much as you can.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The only thing I would add is not to focus solely on the mortgage.

We cleared ours with large overpayments, but in retrospect, it would have been far more financially rewarding to have ploughed more into pensions.
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,885 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The only thing I would add is not to focus solely on the mortgage.

We cleared ours with large overpayments, but in retrospect, it would have been far more financially rewarding to have ploughed more into pensions.

Good advice. Unless your mortgage is an offset, it needn't be your top investment. That has to be your future income, meaning your pension.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • juicygirl
    juicygirl Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you all for taking the time to respond. Plenty of food for thought,

My main weakness is nice foreign holidays. That would need to be our biggest change!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure