How much to live on per week

Comments

• haycorns
    haycorns Posts: 356 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 September 2012 at 6:33PM
    Thanks everyone - its going to be up to him how he spends the money. he's a sensible lad and careful with money. He's getting it in two lumps each term - more at the beginning of term as there are bound to be extra things we've forgotton to send him with.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being too careful with my money and not giving him enough to go out on. I think he'll do fine.

I'd forgotten about laundrette so thank for that. he's taken a clothes airer so hopefully he won't have to tumble.

Maiantenace loan doesn't even cover hall bills so rest is down to us. As you say he can get a job if he feels the need to, but his ambition with going to uni is to get a good useful degree. He's not a party animal (yet), but if he wants to go out more he'll have to fund it himself. He'll probaly not work during term time , but try and get a job next summer to help with yr 2 and yr3.

I too learned my money saving ways at uni - stood me in very good stead.
  • AnnBar
    AnnBar Posts: 75 Forumite
    haycorns wrote: »
    Thanks everyone - its going to be up to him how he spends the money. he's a sensible lad and careful with money. He's getting it in two lumps each term - more at the beginning of term as there are bound to be extra things we've forgotton to send him with.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't being too careful with my money and not giving him enough to go out on. I think he'll do fine.

I'd forgotten about laundrette so thank for that. he's taken a clothes airer so hopefully he won't have to tumble.

Maiantenace loan doesn't even cover hall bills so rest is down to us. As you say he can get a job if he feels the need to, but his ambition with going to uni is to get a good useful degree. He's not a party animal (yet), but if he wants to go out more he'll have to fund it himself. He'll probaly not work during term time , but try and get a job next summer to help with yr 2 and yr3.

I too learned my money saving ways at uni - stood me in very good stead.

Yes take into account the cost of the uni laundry facilities. My sons is £2.20 per load to wash!
  • AnnBar wrote: »
    Yes take into account the cost of the uni laundry facilities. My sons is £2.20 per load to wash!

It can be expensive but I used to manage washing only twice a term, 2 loads each time, one darks one lights! I didn't smell!
    Obviously different if you're playing football and come back with muddy kit etc.
  • the-mango wrote: »
    It can be expensive but I used to manage washing only twice a term, 2 loads each time, one darks one lights! I didn't smell!
    Obviously different if you're playing football and come back with muddy kit etc.

Stinky.gif Really??? :D
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step

Savings For Kids 1st Jan 2019 £16,112
  • Just wanted to add we have decided to pay for our son's train tickets home too...

• BACKFRMTHEEDGE
    BACKFRMTHEEDGE Posts: 1,294 Forumite
    edited 30 September 2012 at 12:57PM
    the-mango wrote: »
    This thread might also be usefulfor people to guage the amounts people get/what they spend it on/how they cope

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2135081

Thanks for the link!

We (like other parents) tried to gather together the essentials so our son shouldn't/wouldn't have to spend £200 like the student room op.

See this thread here:-

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3891711

and here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4159757

• Stinky.gif Really??? :D
    HAha I am fortunate to have a large number of clothes and I got round the underwear issue by being very ungreen and buying more pairs from Primark... awful really, 5 pairs for £2.50 and no washing!
  • englishrose19
    englishrose19 Posts: 175 Forumite
    edited 2 October 2012 at 4:14PM
    Hi there,

I'm a third year student and I don't (and never have) received an allowance from my parents. I find it ridiculous that some people get £60 or £70 a week.

I have between £13-£26 left over from my loan after rent and that is to pay for bills too. I'm not entitled to any bursaries etc.

I manage just fine.

Realistically, to live easily £35-40 is more than enough when bills are included in halls.

Really threads like this make me angry because according to the gov i'm too rich to get bursaries but I don't see how my parents wealth affects how much money I have.

Sigh.
  • the-mango
    the-mango Posts: 818 Forumite
    Xmas Saver! I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi there,

I'm a third year student and I don't (and never have) received an allowance from my parents. I find it ridiculous that some people get £60 or £70 a week.

I have between £13-£26 left over from my loan after rent and that is to pay for bills too. I'm not entitled to any bursaries etc.

I manage just fine.

Realistically, to live easily £35-40 is more than enough when bills are included in halls.

Really threads like this make me angry because according to the gov i'm too rich to get bursaries but I don't see how my parents wealth affects how much money I have.

Sigh.
    Because according to the government your parents are meant to help you out. Not always right beacuse different circumstances mean not all parents with those incomes can/will, but thats the government's line.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Bear in mind that a 35 year old single person on the dole, living alone in a 1-bed flat, will get £71/week to pay for: Gas, water, electricity, contents insurance, TV license, food, clothes and travel/clothes for interviews, haircuts, toiletries, etc. (And maybe have to top up their rent too af LHA's not enough).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure