Water bill high rented accommodation

My daughter lived in a one bedroom flat in Teddington. Get landlady had refused a meter being installed as it would mean removing a kitchen cupboard. My daughter's bills are therefore high and has been advised that the amount is calculated on the value of the property! What can she do about this?

Comments

• Sorry she still lives in the flat. Her landlady is refusing to have the meter installed.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I couldn't get a meter fitted due to a similar situation but the water company gave me a discount as I asked for one and I get the single person discount as well. I pay £29.41pm for a two bed flat- how much is your daughter paying?
  • She is paying £35 per month, not sure that they have offered her a discount, but will check thanks
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 July 2018 at 11:46AM
    Non-metered accounts are based on the RV value, which is a historical figure. Not the current value. If she has a tenancy of min 6 months, then she can have a meter fitted-the LL cannot prevent this as long as the meter can physically be installed. However your daughter would have to pay for any work needed to remove or modify the cupboard (which is unlikely to be very much).
    If the meter cannot be physically installed, following an application for a meter and an inspection, then she can apply for assessed charges. But this can only be done after a failed meter application. No 'discount' is available until the meter is applied for and rejected.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport