The Mortgage Free Roll Of Honour

Comments

• luijo
    luijo Posts: 214 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    A. The Date You decided to become a MFW

In 2006 I watched a programme about becoming mortgage free, and decided there and then that this was my goal as I wanted to be able to retire early or go part time.

B. Mortgage debt at its highest

£130,000

C. Mortgage Free Date

June 2018

D. Your one pearl of wisdom

It was the realisation that we could live on much less money than I had previously thought and be happy. There are so many opportunities out there for freebies/ free days out etc and it's totally changed how I feel about money. I don't do overtime at work unless I need something (recently I did it for a new sofa) and I'm part time which I always wanted.

E. The MSE Mortgage Guides and others that helped you.

I was forever on the mortgage overpayment calculator, I lurked a bit on various forums for a while and read some inspirational info by many fabulous MSE's, I also tried my hand at various other options of making spare money or entering competitions and freebies as I was putting every spare bit of money into overpaying the mortgage.

F. If You had a Mortgage Diary on MFW

Ahh I wish I had done ... X
  • teedy23
    teedy23 Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 21 July 2018 at 2:19PM
    Never thought I'd do it. Its all been done in panic since I had to take over the house on my own around 15 years ago. Then my vindictive ex partner, after 3 years, entered into a trust deed having gotten himself into deeper dept to live his way as a lad. The company he used claimed I owed him money from the equity on the house. There was none when he left. However I've done it, and I've managed to do it 5 years early.

Pearl of wisdom : should you find yourself in my position make sure your lawyer does not put "for no consideration" when you are having the house signed over to you. We had a private arrangement where my ex partner kept joint savings to set up on his own but this was not registered anywhere. This allowed the trust deed company to come back to me. I cant remember the legal term they used but its like when criminals sign all their worldlies over to the wife/ partner so the law cant take them.
    I discovered this site after about a year of being on my own, in a panic, and not being very savvy. I learned so much from this site about credit cards, shopping tricks, upping my income (mystery shopping) which fed me for quite some time lol. I learned how to sell on ebay, sell through amazon and sold my Boots bargains in my workplace and carboot sales. I done just about everything I could to pay extra, and it worked. Thank you Martin for saving my life.

Date I made the final payment: 17th July 2018.
    :T:jDabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none:o

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early :T:j
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
  • tboo
    tboo Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 27 July 2018 at 1:18PM
    a. The date you decided to become a MFW
    May 2016.
    Started at £33,593 to overpay

b. Mortgage Debt at its highest
    £98,675.

c. Mortgage-Free Date
    02/07/2018.

d. Your one pearl of wisdom.
    Pay as much as you can without compromising your family life, your work life and above all your sanity.

e. The MSE Mortgage guides and others that helped you
    Read most diaries.

f. And if you had a mortgage freedom diary on MFW, a link to it.
    Sorry no diary. I was a lurker taking inspiration and tips off others
    “You’re only here for a short visit.
    Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.”
    Walter Hagen

365 Day 1p Challenge for 2021 #41 ✅
    Jar £440.31/£667.95 and Bank £389.67/£667.95

• ANGELWINGS
    ANGELWINGS Posts: 2,832 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    a) 2011
    b) 98,00
    c) February 2011
    d) stop chasing bigger and better properties and try to seek out one that is easy to maintain, cheap to run and affordable.
    e) other mse stories of inspiration
    f) no diary, just did it
  • newja
    newja Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    An interesting read indeed and some of the info I have no idea of but can add a little extra...
    a. The date you decided to become a MFW - some time in 1998
    b. Mortgage Debt at its highest - 125,000.....interest rate at its highest 15.9% ouch
    c. Mortgage-Free Date - 2004 bu t no idea when
    d. Your one perl of wisdom. - little by little as it all adds up!
    e. The MSE Mortgage guides and others that helped you n/a
    f. And if you had a mortgage freedom diary on MFW, a link to it. n/a
    Every second counts, every penny counts too...
  • spock007
    spock007 Posts: 196 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 9 September 2018 at 8:18PM
    a. ALWAYS wanted to be mortgage-free, so saved up a lot and stayed at home for years.

b. Highest debt was at the start - £173k but put initial down-payment of £80k down. NOTE: because of circumstance, Nationwide waived all interest paid on the mortgage to date (about a year's worth). I had some chasing to do but they did it and it was good of them.

c. Mortgage-Free some time this year, I forget. Rubbish circumstances - my wife passed away. Her passing did not massively help toward being mortgage-free (we both saved a lot and our financial situation would be the same were she here). I'd rather have her back and be homeless.

d. Save, save and save - and don't go for flash cars or eat out a lot or any nonsense while you're still "in debt" or soon will be.

e. n/a

f. n/a

I actually need some advice now..............

Will try to keep this brief.

Mid-30s, no mortgage. Widowed with grown step-daughters.

Putting £200 per month into a fund managed by advisor (£40k invested).

I increased pension contributions at work to 30% to bring me down to 20% band. ~£85k in pension (really not a lot...). All-in approx £2k per month into pension.

Still saving £1k+ a month just going into Santander 123 (x2 accounts) for the moment (just under £30k cash).

Could get a pay rise working elsewhere but commute would go up and work might intensify (so probably a no-go plus I still like where I am despite recent pressures). Considered a 2nd home closer to work (commute ~90+mins total each day and I hate that) but the costs are prohibitive and gains taxed at 40%. Also, I got our home for my wife so there is an emotional attachment and it has good local services for one of my step-daughters.

Used to have VLS100% but sold to move into managed fund. Might consider just bumping money back into that. I'd love to not be dependent on work and retire early but at the same time, I lost my wife to cancer and realise how short and fragile life is, so I don't want to squirrel everything away and never see it (a 4-day week would be great but no chance of that).

What would you consider in this position? I'm not sure about Lifetime ISA. Obviously advisor would recommend putting more into his managed fund but I like to diversify. Maybe re-open an investment account and dive back into VLS100? Business venture? Rent a room out in 2nd home closer to work? Just pile more in to my managed account and enjoy life (more holidays, eating out, gigs etc)?

I spent so many years saving, I've had a bit of a blowout this year. I'm out of touch and need to get a plan together. House paid off is great but if job is lost, it seriously hampers the dream of a comfortable life / retiring early etc,
  • Spock - really sorry to hear about your wife :( I bet that was hard.

I check in on this thread when I notice someone has recently added to it, so Congratulations to all on this page and thank you for keeping me inspired and feeling like it is worth plodding on with!

Spock - I have no real advice for you as my situation is completely different to yours. Only thing I would suggest is don't put all your eggs in to one basket, you are right to diversify and spread risk/reward. Maybe someone from Retirement/Pensions board will have better advice for you. The thought of me reaching retirement seems like a distant dot on the horizon so I'm not much help, I know :o
    Mortgage balance October 2015: £99875 Mortgage balance June 2023: £69999.40
  • Thanks - and that's a good shout, thank you :)
  • Natty68
    Natty68 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Afraid I totally forgot about this thread, sorry. But as I've only been a month into mortgage free I hope it's ok to post on here :D

a. The date you decided to become a MFW :
    We hadn’t thought about it until I joined MSE in 2006

b. Mortgage Debt at its highest :
    August 1992 – £48,000

c. Mortgage-Free Date
    20th August 2018

d. Your one pearl of wisdom.
    Try not to spend and live within your means.

e. The MSE Mortgage guides and others that helped you
    All the diaries on the MFW board

f. And if you had a mortgage freedom diary on MFW, a link to it
    Afraid I didn’t have one.
    Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
    Declutter challenge 2023, 2024 🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
    DH declutter challenge award 🏅⭐️
  • Well done Natty :beer:

Thanks for keeping me and other MFWs inspired
    Mortgage balance October 2015: £99875 Mortgage balance June 2023: £69999.40
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories