win 10 has just started changing wifi to dialup.

OH has just started to have a problem in that, for no apparent reason, turns wifi off and changes it to dialup. This can come at any time, even whilst online to say facebook. previous time I put it down to a hiccup due an update but its just happened for the second time today. Too late to solve it now but would like to solve it tomorrow if possible.
I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.

Comments

• Have you got a modem on that PC then and a cable to the phone socket(not to the router)? Or do you mean ethernet ...
    What messages do they get
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    There is malware that does this, tries to dial premium numbers.
  • Have you got a modem on that PC then and a cable to the phone socket(not to the router)? Or do you mean ethernet ...
    What messages do they get
    Hi, thanks for reply. Only connected to wireless, use ethernet only if there's a problem. No messages just a change for no apparent reason.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • buglawton wrote: »
    There is malware that does this, tries to dial premium numbers.
    Haven't noticed any attempt to dial but as we have malware bytes and a few others we'll run scans. Thanks.
  • Now noticed that the "wifi" setting has disappeared from the settings box so am beginning to suspect the card. Possible?
  • Solved, but I don't know why. System restore to before the September update and wifi is back and running. Windows can be most frustrating. Thanks for the help.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure