IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

County Court Claim Regarding Parking Tickets

Options

Comments

• SamSteel89
    Options
    Firstly, I dropped the ball with the defence. Upon speaking to a lady on the court phone number, she gave off the impression I just write a short statement stating why I feel I shouldn't have to pay. So unfortunately my defence essentially consisted of 3 short bullet points as I did not realise this was supposed to be in depth. I think I basically mentioned the fact the spaces were for visitor parking and it was incorrectly sign posted, the company had not followed DVLA guidelines and they had not sent any payment reminders to my adress
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    OK so you will have to write a decent WS and evidence, and hope the Court allows it.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • SamSteel89
    Options
    Just one question - is the claim form stamped by the court?

They have been known to send these out without putting them through the court as a way of scaring people into paying.

I received a claim form that appears to be stamped but photocopied. I did call the court to check if it is legit and it is
  • SamSteel89
    Options
    Well what i don't want to do at this stage is go to court, lose the case because my evidence holds no value, and then pay a whole load of court fees and expense fees that the parking company ask for. At least at this stage I can fold, pay up and not incur any extra costs.
  • SamSteel89
    Options
    The DVLA time constraints state that the claimant must request the information between something like 28 and 56 days. The company did not request any information for the first ticket but they did for the second. I don't know if that then means I'm still chargeable for both tickets as I was still the owner of the vehicle during the time of the first ticket
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    SamSteel89 wrote: »
    Well what i don't want to do at this stage is go to court, lose the case because my evidence holds no value, and then pay a whole load of court fees and expense fees that the parking company ask for. At least at this stage I can fold, pay up and not incur any extra costs.

Luckily, this is the small claims track and unless you conduct yourself unreasonably, then that cannot happen. At any stage you can fold & pay up, but why would you, when the inflated, unjustified sum they are claiming is likely to be more than they would get at a hearing, if they even won?
    The DVLA time constraints state that the claimant must request the information between something like 28 and 56 days. The company did not request any information for the first ticket but they did for the second. I don't know if that then means I'm still chargeable for both tickets as I was still the owner of the vehicle during the time of the first ticket
    The KADOE rules require a separate request for each and every parking event.
  • SamSteel89
    Options
    So if they are already asking for £257 for 2 fines (100 each, 20 for court fees and remainder for unknown costs), what is the maximum I'm likely to pay if I lose?

Sorry what is KADOE? If the rules do indeed state the DVLA must be contacted for each event, would it be worth while me contacting the parking company and offering to pay £100 for the last ticket but nothing else, avoiding the hassle of court?
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,645 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    SamSteel89 wrote: »
    ...would it be worth while me contacting the parking company and offering to pay £100 for the last ticket but nothing else, avoiding the hassle of court?
    Please don't do that.

All that would do is indicate to them that you are on the back foot.

With that signal, they will refuse your offer and continue the threat of court.
    They will sense that you are not keen on 'the hassle', and will continue the push.
  • Coupon-mad
    Options
    So if they are already asking for £257 for 2 fines (100 each, 20 for court fees and remainder for unknown costs), what is the maximum I'm likely to pay if I lose?
    Just another £25 for a hearing fee that they'll have to pay. If you lost, then that would be added. Not quite what you envisaged, I assume? No large costs.

And we win 99% of cases - I keep records and have only seen two losses in 2017 (counting ONLY those posters who came here for advice on a defence, stuck around, got advice again on a WS/evidence and were coached right up to their hearing). There are hundreds of winners.

Which PPC, and are they using a legal firm? If so, who?

would it be worth while me contacting the parking company and offering to pay £100 for the last ticket but nothing else, avoiding the hassle of court?
    No. Believe us, no.

KADOE - Google it...!
  • SamSteel89
    Options
    Ok I guess I'll stick with defending against this but I am panicking a bit. I'm not sure my defence is enough for a parking firm that clearly do this on a regular basis.

The parking company is Devere Parking Services Ltd. I believe they only operate around the Dorset area and they are registered with the IPC
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure