Everything & Anything New York City

Options

Comments

• Madrocks
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    Just after some advise pls. Myself, DH and 14yr DD are looking to go next year early july for a 5 night break. Have reserved two hotels inc free breakfast for approx $780. One is in Newark and the other Brooklyn. There's not much difference in the two in terms of reviews and im struggling to make a decision. However in terms of getting a taxi to and from the airport which would be better/cheaper? We dont plan on spending many evenings in Manhattan so once we get back to hotel would be looking to eat out in the area, again which area would you recommend.
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Madrocks wrote: »
    However in terms of getting a taxi to and from the airport which would be better/cheaper?

Which airport?

If you use Google Maps to plan a journey from the hotel to the airport, it should give you all the options.
  • londoninvestor
    Options
    We dont plan on spending many evenings in Manhattan so once we get back to hotel would be looking to eat out in the area, again which area would you recommend.

I'd say Brooklyn would be much better than Newark in this regard.
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    However in terms of getting a taxi to and from the airport which would be better/cheaper?
    We used a shuttle service which was excellent and fairly cheap, son once used a taxi and it cost about $70 for 2 of them.
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    savvy wrote: »
    We used a shuttle service which was excellent and fairly cheap, son once used a taxi and it cost about $70 for 2 of them.

I am sure the taxi price from JFK airport into town is $55.00 plus tunnel toll plus tip,do not know what it is from Newark airport.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,459 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Ganga wrote: »
    I am sure the taxi price from JFK airport into town is $55.00 plus tunnel toll plus tip,do not know what it is from Newark airport.

The flat fare is between JFK and Manhattan, but Madrocks is talking about staying in Brooklyn or NJ so not really relevant.

Newark is metered plus a surcharge.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml#AirportTrips
  • Madrocks
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say thanks for advice. Been doing more research and i think im going to go with the Newark hotel and fly into Newark with aer lingus according to google maps its only 15 miles away.
  • MiraculousM
    Options
    HELP- so i am flying into Newark in Sept as i need to be in Philly for a wedding. I dont want to stopover on flights as i am an anxious flyer as it is so i am going to fly out to newark, stay in manhattan for the night and then get the bus up to philly- staying in Philly till after the wedding then getting an amtrak back to EWR.

Last time i was in nyc i got the Go airlink bus back to the airport (i usually get a cab from JFK to manhattan) and it was great. This time, i want to get the Go Airlink out. it will take me about 1.5 hours to get from the airport to the hostel i am staying at which is midtown.

Does anyone have any experience of Go Airlink leaving newark and how is it?

Hi everyone.

I just thought i would feedback on this. I took the GoLink from Newark to my hotel- it took a bit longer - (i would say about an hour longer than if i had taken a cab as new york traffic plus dropping several people off first) but for the amount of money it saved me as i was alone, it was well worth it and i am def going to use this service again.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi everyone.

I just thought i would feedback on this. I took the GoLink from Newark to my hotel- it took a bit longer - (i would say about an hour longer than if i had taken a cab as new york traffic plus dropping several people off first) but for the amount of money it saved me as i was alone, it was well worth it and i am def going to use this service again.

Thanks for coming back and letting us know how you got on,how much was the fare in theshuttle?
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • MiraculousM
    Options
    So i am guessing a cab from Newark to Union Square would have been at least $70-

I paid $19 (and then a $5 tip) so a considerable saving. I got this back from my Hostel last time i was in NYC too in May (the hostel phoned and organised it for me) and it was a saving of about $60 too.

There are terrible reviews for them but i have found my two experiences to be pleasant and easy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure