benefits options

13»

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    You can check online the maximum housing benefit he could be entitled, depending on his income, to which may not cover all his rent

He will only be due the local authority allowance for a one bedroom house.

https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/search.aspx
  • wallofbeans
    wallofbeans Posts: 1,392 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    sheramber wrote: »
    You can check online the maximum housing benefit he could be entitled, depending on his income, to which may not cover all his rent

He will only be due the local authority allowance for a one bedroom house.

https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/search.aspx

I've some more detail and I don't think he'll get any Pension Credit at all, but he should get Housing Benefit that covers half his rent - which is better than nothing and makes his current situation manageable.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I just googled state pension

State pension amounts vary from individual to individual.

Some higher earning individuals who had a long working life and never contracted out could have a substantial amount over the old basic state pension or indeed the new state pension.

https://www.mattioliwoods.com/userfiles/pdf/mattioli%20woods%20state%20pension%20provision%20factsheet%20apr16.pdf
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,274 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Does anyone know how it works if he got housing benefit etc for the house he is currently in but then moved to a smaller place... Does he have to apply again?

The tricky thing with private renting is most houses say 'no benefits' so I assume you have to pay normally at first and then transition into paying via housing benefit... or at least that's what I remember doing when I needed to...

To give you some idea. My OH and I recently moved into a HA property for the over 55s. They are happy to accept housing benefit, according to the manager about 70% of the tenants claim it. Unlike renting privately there were no agency fees, deposit or referencing so it was a lot less painful than renting privately plus more security.

Most retirement flats tend to be one bedroomed so he would have to downsize. Our rent includes maintenance of grounds and communal areas, including a large lounge (with snooker table) and kitchen and there is a guest suite where friends and relatives can stay for £8 a night. We also have a laundry room with brand new Miele washers and dryers, use of these is included in the rent.

Sorry if it sounds like an advert but I thought it might be useful to hear about someone!!!8217;s personal experience. We are fortunate to live in a very desirable area as well
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    My OH and I recently moved into a HA property for the over 55s.

I suggested (post 9) that this possibility should be explored but the OP's relative seems reluctant to move house.
  • wallofbeans
    Just had an update on this, which is slightly confusing me --

It turns out all his pension income (from various jobs over the years and his state pension) totals at on average £1200 a month. And this has cancelled him out of getting any benefits apparently.

The strange thing is that they've given him a payment for this month and three months of back pay, totalling around £1700, and I don't quite understand why they've given him this when they also say he's getting nothing more. This is based upon what he's told me, I'm hoping a letter from the council might arrive and it'll make more sense...

Anyone got any ideas what this money might be for?

It's a real shame as he has no savings at all, doesn't own any property, and they seem to be saying that he has to spend all his pension money before they'll help out at all.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 20 June 2018 at 2:58PM
    totals at on average £1200 a month.

three months of back pay, totalling around £1700, and I don't quite understand why they've given him this when they also say he's getting nothing more.
    This doesn't make sense, it's like a contradiction. I really think you should wait for the letter to see exactly what is says, then either post back here, or ring them to find out what's going on.
  • wallofbeans
    poppy12345 wrote: »
    This does make sense, it's like a contradiction. I really think you should wait for the letter to see exactly what is says, then either post back here, or ring them to find out what's going on.

Assuming a letter is coming.. I'm just hoping that is the case..

I've gone back to the online calculators and even with the £1200 pension income (and assuming that £124 a week of it is state pension) he should still be getting £79 per week.

Do you think they will talk to me about it? I assumed they'd only talk to him..
    Either way, I'll come back here as soon as I get a letter or any further details. I'm baffled!
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Assuming a letter is coming.. I'm just hoping that is the case..

I've gone back to the online calculators and even with the £1200 pension income (and assuming that £124 a week of it is state pension) he should still be getting £79 per week.

Do you think they will talk to me about it? I assumed they'd only talk to him..
    Either way, I'll come back here as soon as I get a letter or any further details. I'm baffled!
    Only if you're his appointee. If you're not then he will have to ring them and go through security before they will speak to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure