MSE News: Financial education debate: Government to consider compulsory money lessons

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Customers who were talked into switching to a pricey tariff could receive part of a £5m compensation pot in the new year
..."

Comments

• The_One_Who
    The_One_Who Posts: 2,418 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Genuine question to those at MSE: How many more threads are you going to make on this topic? Why not just update the other ones so as to try to keep all the discussion (which is all on the same topic) in one place?
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    From the article:-
    Earlier this week, the All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG) on Financial Education for Young People, which has the support of 226 MPs and Peers, issued a report calling for compulsory money lessons . . .
    How do we find out who these 226 MPs and Peers are? I've emailed my MP twice on this subject and haven't had the courtesy of even an acknowledgement. I'd just like to know whether my free-loader participated in any way at all.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • oldvicar
    oldvicar Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    226 MPs and Peers, with one of them being Balls. With 650+ MPs alone this does not look well supported. Shall we assume that parliament is just not interested in this and the 'magic' 100,000 petition which caused the debate is a bit of an irritation to our representatives?
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    oldvicar wrote: »
    226 MPs and Peers, with one of them being Balls. With 650+ MPs alone this does not look well supported. Shall we assume that parliament is just not interested in this and the 'magic' 100,000 petition which caused the debate is a bit of an irritation to our representatives?
    The 226 are the exisiting supporters of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Financial Education for Young People. Many more MPs may have been persuaded to support the cause by the petition and debate.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • I don't know why MSE doesn't petition parents. Afterall it is THEIR responsibility to ensure their 'little darlings' receive a decent education. But it's easier for the parents to blame the school when their kids leave school not knowing their three R's.
  • wha? they really have no idea
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I don't know why MSE doesn't petition parents. Afterall it is THEIR responsibility to ensure their 'little darlings' receive a decent education. But it's easier for the parents to blame the school when their kids leave school not knowing their three R's.
    To a great extent, the parents aren't too financially savvy themselves so there seems little hope of parents financially educating their children, even if they wanted to.

It is more likely that the kids will be financially educating their parents in the future, I think.:).
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure