Not offered interview by NHS despite meeting all criteria for Guaranteed Interview Scheme

Comments

• shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Forumite
    edited 17 April 2018 at 2:25PM
    Autumn868 wrote: »
    Thank-you, I'll send that FOI request in this afternoon.

How on earth can that be the most sensible next step?!
    nicechap wrote: »
    Do a FOI for the role asking how many applicants they had for the post, how many met the GIS criteria, how many people were offered an interview, and of these, how many were GIS candidates.

When you get a reply, a letter to Head of HR/ Director of HR for the trust enquiring how your application was mishandled.

It won't change the past but you might discover whether the post has actually been filled and if not, get another chance, or if cancelled, an offer for another post might suddenly materialise.

Your advice would guarantee that doesn't happen.

EDIT to add: Yes, emailing six or seven HR people you found the addresses for will come across as bonkers. I'd think chances of employment with them now are zero.:(
  • polgara
    polgara Posts: 500
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    or they could pull the post?
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Not knowing what the security role entails my first thought was same as Tim, overqualified. I've rejected people based on that alone, some may think you are getting more for your money but often harder to retain or even keep busy someone too qualified for role.
  • Ozzuk wrote: »
    Not knowing what the security role entails my first thought was same as Tim, overqualified. I've rejected people based on that alone, some may think you are getting more for your money but often harder to retain or even keep busy someone too qualified for role.

That's one side of overqualified.

The other side is "What on earth are they applying for this for? Why can't they get a better job? There must be something wrong with them."
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,258
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I failed to get an interview with the NHS under the GIS once. Turned out I hadn't written in the written bit that I had Maths 'O' level. Even though I'd put it in the qualifications bit, they didn't accept that I had the minimum requirements. I gave up ticking the GIS box and got a job with a different hospital.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451
    Forumite
    Ive failed to get a couple through GIS now.

One was for my job (going from part time to full time) and the person doing the selection hadn't worked out from the fact that I have multiple degrees that I have enough standard grades !!!55357;!!!56900;. Not my fault there was not enough space on the forms for me to spell that out for them.

One they didn't recruit, funding fell through but if I move back to the mainland I have good odds of getting a job in that board. They seemed really nice as well.

One, well they probably wouldn't have been particularly great employers anyway.

One they gave me an interview for the band 6 managers job 3 months before but I didn't have the qualification for the band 5 job? I didn't even bother querying that one. I discovered we were moving to the islands at that point and started applying upwards.

I've also discovered this annoying thing where if you already work in the nhs as an X then unless the job is a natural move for your role then it's like applying to be an astronaut, there's no imagination with a lot of recruiters. I have a huge range of skills from research to admin and certificates to back it up but as I work in admin in an ophthalmology department then I can only progress in admin for some weird reason. It's very frustrating.

I have discovered that the electronic application used by NHS Scotland doesn't give you much space in the area where you describe your current role so if you're like me with a diverse job spec then you need to write something short then expand in the "more evidence in support of your application" boxes.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Going off on a very slight tangent, but I've never quite understood why people get (and make sure to point it out) 2 or more degrees!

Maybe when I'm older and wiser I'll know, but I've got one and it:

1. Doesn't give off the impression that I can't make up my mind (even though I actually can't!) like 2+ degrees may do.

2. It effectively tells employers the same story; that I am literate and numerate enough to work somewhere at the level they need.

That being said, I do love Education and would happily have another go at university if the funding was in place/the fees were affordable without loans. I'd just probably try and blag a gap year, if I felt that I would come across as a bit too overqualified.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Forumite
    Les79 wrote: »
    Going off on a very slight tangent, but I've never quite understood why people get (and make sure to point it out) 2 or more degrees!

Maybe when I'm older and wiser I'll know, but I've got one and it:

1. Doesn't give off the impression that I can't make up my mind (even though I actually can't!) like 2+ degrees may do.

2. It effectively tells employers the same story; that I am literate and numerate enough to work somewhere at the level they need.

That being said, I do love Education and would happily have another go at university if the funding was in place/the fees were affordable without loans. I'd just probably try and blag a gap year, if I felt that I would come across as a bit too overqualified.

I think two degrees are a warning flag to an employer rather than a plus. We all know people who thrive in academia but struggle in employment.
  • sitesafe
    sitesafe Posts: 544
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    That's one side of overqualified.

The other side is "What on earth are they applying for this for? Why can't they get a better job? There must be something wrong with them."

Or ... they've struggled to find work with the degree they've got and gone on to further themselves to hopefully open up more opportunities in a different field ... rather than a gap in employment to at least be seen to be doing something
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451
    Forumite
    My second degree was a post grad conversion to a registered profession (optometry). I then had to give up registration to being unfit to practice because of disability, hence applying for jobs using GIS.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure