IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

P4 ticket for parking on kerb

Options
I received a ticket from P4 parking for parking on the kerb. I'm not sure whether I have grounds to appeal.... but am hoping that as well as the usual grounds used on templates that these may apply.

1) There was no grace period given ... I was parked approx 6 mins, ticket shows no period of parking to and from time.

2) Am unsure if it Is illegal to park on kerb which is not a public highway. The area in question is a estate owned by Bellway Homes and ticket issued by P4 not the council so surely this is private land and not a public highway and the parking on kerb rule may not apply.

Am aware shouldn't have parked on kerb but was making mad dash to collect my son from the park where he had called and said he had fallen and was hurt... wasn't thinking just wanted park and see if he was ok. I literally walked from my car to a bench approx 15 metres from my car helped him to him feet and walked back to the car again. I have no idea how the attendant was so quick, I only managed to glimpse him as he scurried away ... but feel that £100 for 6 mins is ridiculously unfair.

Is it worth appealing ?
Do i do so using ground on templates only and try to skirt around the kerb issue ?
Do i just suck it up and pay the £60 with the 14 day period ?

TIA

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,669 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Just use the template appeal from the NEWBIES thread around day 26 if it's a BPA member (I can't recall!). DO NOT say who was driving.

No, these are NEVER worth paying and no type of (ordinary) parking is 'illegal'.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 16 January 2017 at 2:24PM
    Options
    but feel that £100 for 6 mins is ridiculously unfair.

It is, but you do not need to pay a penny, even if you lose your appeal to an ajudicator, unless a judge tells you so.

How much would a Council want for this heinous crime I wonder.

Is it worth appealing

Absolutely
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You need to get photos of the PPC's signage on the estate. Do the signs mention anything about parking on the pavements, or is this a case of an overzealous parking chimp hoping to hit his bonus target for the month?
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Nadsbmw
    Nadsbmw Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    There is one sign as you enter the road ( high up on a lamppost and about A4 in size) which mentions parking causing an obstruction, but nothing along the entire length of road which is approx 100m long.
    I guess the word " obstruction " is subjective. There was room for a pedestrian, wheelchair or pushchair to pass easily. I had simply mounted the kerb , not parked on the entire pavement !
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,346 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Nadsbmw wrote: »
    There is one sign as you enter the road ( high up on a lamppost and about A4 in size) which mentions parking causing an obstruction, but nothing along the entire length of road which is approx 100m long.
    I guess the word " obstruction " is subjective. There was room for a pedestrian, wheelchair or pushchair to pass easily. I had simply mounted the kerb , not parked on the entire pavement !

You'll need photos of the roadway to show there was no signage anywhere near to where you parked. This will be very helpful evidence for your eventual appeal to POPLA.

Get your initial appeal off to P4P around day 26 as per the NEWBIES FAQ sticky, post #1.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It is not illegal to park on the kerb ANYWHERE (except in London boroughs). It can be, though, illegal to drive on the pavement. (But you'd need to be observed in the act - your vehicle being stationary on the pavement is not evidence of driving).

On private land it all depends on the terms and conditions of parking ... it is thus a contractual matter. Bear in mind that you cannot contract to do something which is forbidden. ;)
  • Nadsbmw
    Options
    Unfortunately it was in London .......... Does this apply to private Roads / land ?
    it wasn't the council that issued the ticket it was P4 so does this mean the no parking on pavement law applies on private roads / land

"Bear in mind that you cannot contract to do something which is forbidden. " Can you expand on this a little further ?
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,033 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Nadsbmw wrote: »
    Unfortunately it was in London .......... Does this apply to private Roads / land ?
    it wasn't the council that issued the ticket it was P4 so does this mean the no parking on pavement law applies on private roads / land

"Bear in mind that you cannot contract to do something which is forbidden. " Can you expand on this a little further ?

Forget about being in London, on private land the ppc/landowner make up their own rules, (not laws).

If a contract forbids you to do something, they can't then charge you for doing it.
  • Nadsbmw
    Options
    I'm just trying to hash together my Popla appeal against a P4 ticket for parking on the kerb and would like to know whether the grace period guidance applies to street parking or car parks only.
    The ticket issued is blank where it should show parking period from and parking period to.

In their response to my appeal they state the ticket was issued correctly as parked on private land blah blah blah, but then goes on the state later that the highway code states that a car shouldn't park on the kerb or on a double yellow line - my question is can they cite highway code ? does the highway code apply to private land ?

Their response also stated that as I appealed before the 28 day period then i must be the driver as if not I wouldn't t have known about the ticket. I have been led to believe that this is incorrect but not sure how to word or use this in my Popla appal.
    Some guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yellow lines have no legal standing on private land

grace periods apply both to street parking and private parking , P4 are BPA therefore the BPA code of conduct states

13 Grace periods
    13.1 Your approach to parking management must allow a
    driver who enters your car park but decides not to park,
    to leave the car park within a reasonable period without
    having their vehicle issued with a parking charge notice.
    13.2 You should allow the driver a reasonable ‘grace period’
    in which to decide if they are going to stay or go. If the
    driver is on your land without permission you should still
    allow them a grace period to read your signs and leave
    before you take enforcement action.
    13.3 You should be prepared to tell us the specific grace period
    at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is.
    13.4 You should allow the driver a reasonable period to leave the
    private car park after the parking contract has ended, before
    you take enforcement action. If the location is one where
    parking is normally permitted, the Grace Period at the end
    of the parking period should be a minimum of 10 minutes.

so there is a grace period upon entering the site , and a further onec on leaving
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family