PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,140 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :D Sign me on the dotted line!

But where is bad enough that they should have politicians inflicted on them? Gobi Desert? The Skeleton Coast? Parts of Alaska where I understand the polar bears are getting a bit peckish?

You certainly couldn't honorably send a boatload of politicians to any inhabited place, think of the havoc they could cause........:D

Mars? Or just send them off into space to keep going...
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 April 2017 at 3:18PM
    I recently persuaded my mother to give me her energy consumption figures so I could see if there is a better deal available.

To get £218 savings, she would need to take an online deal from Iresa. That's the first problem, as she won't use the internet. The second problem is that even if I persuaded her to, she would not receive a 'Warm Home Discount' of £140 due to Iresa not offering it.

Therefore it seems a little pointless changing supplier if you are in fuel poverty, doesn't it?

Would she even get the 'Warm Home Discount' if she takes a fixed tariff from SSE which saves £62.80, or do you only get it if you are on a standard tariff?
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    SSE have a note on their website stating they cannot accept any more applications for the discount atm anyway.

I'd never heard of Iresa.
  • jk0
    edited 5 April 2017 at 6:03PM
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    SSE have a note on their website stating they cannot accept any more applications for the discount atm anyway.

I'd never heard of Iresa.

Thanks Ivyleaf.

Yeah, they told mum that on the phone, but said she could apply in September. The problem is that she doesn't claim means tested benefits as she has too much capital. Unfortunately that capital generates very little income nowadays, so she only receives a discretionary warm home discount, and does not get it automatically.

I just had the same problem again on Bristol Energy website. They only give the discount to 'core applicants'.
  • ivyleaf
    jk0 wrote: »
    Thanks Ivyleaf.

Yeah, they told mum that on the phone, but said she could apply in September. The problem is that she doesn't claim means tested benefits as she has too much capital. Unfortunately that capital generates very little income nowadays, so she only receives a discretionary warm home discount, and does not get it automatically.

I just had the same problem again on Bristol Energy website. They only give the discount to 'core applicants'.

Oh, that's frustrating :(
  • Waking this morning to the news that President Trump has deployed missiles against Syria has the hairs standing up on end on my neck! Yes what happened in Syria is totally unacceptable in every way and has to be stopped BUT I cannot see that violence in any form will solve anything. Is this the first step on an extremely steep and slippery slope down which the entire world slides into chaos and destruction or is this another act of muscle flexing on a grand scale by a president who makes Tony Blairs excursions look mild??? God help humanity if this all goes pear shaped for any reason!

Prepping never made so much sense as it does this morning!
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Reading the news, sitting in my van, door wide open, sunshine streaming in, birdsong all round, spring flowers all up the hedgebank, cup of good L!dl's coffee in hand, totally unable to get my head around the horror unfolding out there... poor, poor people who are just in the way of grandstanding politicians... Mars would be too close for comfort!
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • jk0
    edited 7 April 2017 at 9:13AM
    Crikey, these rats are clever beggars. For months now, I have had poison cubes in my man holes, behind the kitchen plinths, and a rat trap also.

Last week I had a bag of rotten carrots, so threw them away in my kitchen bin. Ratty obviously smelt them and chewed his way in and made a pig of himself. Poison & trap remain untouched.

Wednesday night I threw another bad carrot away. I also put the trap and poison in the cupboard with the bin. Poison & trap remain untouched, but carrot has gone, and there are bin-filings on the base.

Any thoughts?
  • Totally incongruous sort of day on which to unleash the Dogs of War isn't it? I feel utterly out of control of anything, what happens now will happen and we'll ALL face the consequences of a vainglorious act of aggression. If there IS a God I hope at some point there will be a reckoning!
  • ivyleaf
    edited 7 April 2017 at 9:27AM
    Waking this morning to the news that President Trump has deployed missiles against Syria has the hairs standing up on end on my neck! Yes what happened in Syria is totally unacceptable in every way and has to be stopped BUT I cannot see that violence in any form will solve anything. Is this the first step on an extremely steep and slippery slope down which the entire world slides into chaos and destruction or is this another act of muscle flexing on a grand scale by a president who makes Tony Blairs excursions look mild??? God help humanity if this all goes pear shaped for any reason!

Prepping never made so much sense as it does this morning!

According to the BBC, the missiles were launched against the airbase where the gas attack would have come from, as opposed to being aimed at "Syria" per se. Presumably the idea is to prevent any more gas attacks from there. But the poor people :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure