Very Costly Travel Loan Error by Employer

Hello,

I work for a very large company in London and have recently ended a maternity cover role to move back down to an intern contract for the next six months. In doing this I needed to apply for another travel loan for the next six months, which is when the following took place:

In May (when I was on a higher paid contract) I applied for a travel loan to cover my travel up until October that was to be paid back over 5 months. This request was agreed and approved by Payroll and HR.

At the beginning of October I took another travel loan for my next six months of travel (up until the end of my intern contract in May) – to be repaid accordingly. I have since found out that the first loan repayment was erroneously entered as being repayable over 12 months.

So I was contacted by HR to say that I now have 2 loans being taken out of my salary at once because of the error by HR/payroll, the total of which would mean deducting £650 from my, now lower, salary - that is a lot more than half my salary! (An extra of over £1200 over the six months)

I cannot afford to pay that amount on a monthly basis whilst also having enough money for rent, food, and bills – the amounts simply do not add up. I wrongly assumed that the loan would be processed properly and that the correct amount was being taken from my (higher) salary from May to October, this meant that my spending was adjusted to that accordingly. Now I am stuck on a lower salary with a much higher monthly debt – through absolutely no fault of my own besides trusting that the loan was processed correctly. Now, because of one person’s incompetence I am in very real financial trouble for the coming months.

There is simply no way I can pay this amount on my current salary. The only remedy HR keep repeating is to use a mixture of higher monthly payments and a large lump sum at the end of my contract, however these are completely useless as no matter what the payment structure I don't have the money. Payroll had an approved and agreed five months to recoup the travel loan whilst I was on a higher wage and I don't feel it is my responsibility to put myself in financial trouble because of their error.

To exacerbate the situation I was told that I had only 24 hours to make a decision on how I could fix this error that was made because of someone else’s inadequate ability to do their job.

I suggested that the loan be repaid over a period of 12 months - extending to beyond my contract end date, when I would still make payments whilst outside the company.

Today I received a further email from HR after a meeting to discuss options - that resulted in nothing.

"I’ve been told it is strict company policy that we have to recover any loans over the period of your employment, ie. we can’t let someone leave with debt still outstanding. This is even if we agree in writing that you will repay after you’ve left. We can’t make an exception because we need to be consistent in applying the policy across the business, and I’ve checked with our HR counterparts in ****, **** and ** for what they would do.

I would suggest you have a look at your monthly outgoings and how much you can afford to increase your monthly deductions to between November 2012 and April 2013. This will reduce the balance remaining that will be deducted from your final pay. Depending on what you decide for the monthly deductions, hopefully this balance will be covered by your final pay.

I’ve learned that to begin with, you shouldn’t have had the loan approved – the policy is actually that an employee can only take a loan out to the value of their net pay. "

Even if I raised my monthly payments to £500 to cover more of both loans (an amount that may be manageable), I would still then not have enough in my final pay to cover the outstanding lump sum at the end - this would essentially mean that the company would take all of my final pay and then request further money from me after!

I would really appreciate any urgent help you can offer on this as I am in a troubling financial situation with it.

I realise I should have checked my payslip more thoroughly, however the loan error was not of my doing and is a mistake that has really cost me. I was under the impression that in a situation like this (where a company error has put an employee in a detrimental position) both the company and the employee must come to an acceptable agreement for everyone? However, they will not do anything besides saying the debt can be in different structures but only over six months.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    moombamike wrote: »
    Hello,

I work for a very large company in London and have recently ended a maternity cover role to move back down to an intern contract for the next six months. In doing this I needed to apply for another travel loan for the next six months, which is when the following took place:

In May (when I was on a higher paid contract) I applied for a travel loan to cover my travel up until October that was to be paid back over 5 months. This request was agreed and approved by Payroll and HR.

At the beginning of October I took another travel loan for my next six months of travel (up until the end of my intern contract in May) – to be repaid accordingly. I have since found out that the first loan repayment was erroneously entered as being repayable over 12 months.

So I was contacted by HR to say that I now have 2 loans being taken out of my salary at once because of the error by HR/payroll, the total of which would mean deducting £650 from my, now lower, salary - that is a lot more than half my salary! (An extra of over £1200 over the six months)

I cannot afford to pay that amount on a monthly basis whilst also having enough money for rent, food, and bills – the amounts simply do not add up. I wrongly assumed that the loan would be processed properly and that the correct amount was being taken from my (higher) salary from May to October, this meant that my spending was adjusted to that accordingly. Now I am stuck on a lower salary with a much higher monthly debt – through absolutely no fault of my own besides trusting that the loan was processed correctly. Now, because of one person’s incompetence I am in very real financial trouble for the coming months.

There is simply no way I can pay this amount on my current salary. The only remedy HR keep repeating is to use a mixture of higher monthly payments and a large lump sum at the end of my contract, however these are completely useless as no matter what the payment structure I don't have the money. Payroll had an approved and agreed five months to recoup the travel loan whilst I was on a higher wage and I don't feel it is my responsibility to put myself in financial trouble because of their error.

To exacerbate the situation I was told that I had only 24 hours to make a decision on how I could fix this error that was made because of someone else’s inadequate ability to do their job.

I suggested that the loan be repaid over a period of 12 months - extending to beyond my contract end date, when I would still make payments whilst outside the company.

Today I received a further email from HR after a meeting to discuss options - that resulted in nothing.

"I’ve been told it is strict company policy that we have to recover any loans over the period of your employment, ie. we can’t let someone leave with debt still outstanding. This is even if we agree in writing that you will repay after you’ve left. We can’t make an exception because we need to be consistent in applying the policy across the business, and I’ve checked with our HR counterparts in ****, **** and ** for what they would do.

I would suggest you have a look at your monthly outgoings and how much you can afford to increase your monthly deductions to between November 2012 and April 2013. This will reduce the balance remaining that will be deducted from your final pay. Depending on what you decide for the monthly deductions, hopefully this balance will be covered by your final pay.

I’ve learned that to begin with, you shouldn’t have had the loan approved – the policy is actually that an employee can only take a loan out to the value of their net pay. "

Even if I raised my monthly payments to £500 to cover more of both loans (an amount that may be manageable), I would still then not have enough in my final pay to cover the outstanding lump sum at the end - this would essentially mean that the company would take all of my final pay and then request further money from me after!

I would really appreciate any urgent help you can offer on this as I am in a troubling financial situation with it.

I realise I should have checked my payslip more thoroughly, however the loan error was not of my doing and is a mistake that has really cost me. I was under the impression that in a situation like this (where a company error has put an employee in a detrimental position) both the company and the employee must come to an acceptable agreement for everyone? However, they will not do anything besides saying the debt can be in different structures but only over six months.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

You could try negotiating with your employer for a revised payment plan, but the loans will have to be repaid in full eventually and if you plan to take another loan in 6 months time then any extension to repaying the loans already granted will only delay the trouble you say you currently are in.

Of course, as you say, it was also your responsibility to check your payslip and I'm dumbfounded that you missed for 6 consecutive months that you were being overpaid by £200 each month (or maybe you were aware but thought that if you kept quiet about it you'd get away with it? :cool:)

More useful information can be found on the Citizens Advice self-help website www.adviceguide.org.uk or by calling the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline (0845 4040506) or you could contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau which you can find at www.citizensadvice.org.uk.
  • CAB_National_Representative
    CAB_National_Representative Posts: 220 Organisation Representative
    Hi moombabike - we'd recommend that you contact your local bureau for advice and support on this, and as soon as possible, being sure to have all relevant documents to hand when you speak or meet with an adviser.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure