Warranty after company stops trading

I have a Husky Heat Pump and it should still be in warranty. However I found out yesterday the company has ceased trading and not monitoring emails. I cannot contact them via telephone.

How do I find out how to contact as my warranty is protected by UK law and possibly administrators or another company should take it on? What rights do I have regarding this if it breaks down or require a part - I need to know who to contact

Does anyone know who I can try?

Thank You

Comments

• unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    What UK law protects your warranty in this situation?

Please don't say the warranty mentioned in the EU directive.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    How did you pay? If it was by credit card (or other finance directly linked to the purchase) and the value was £100 or more then you're covered for all contractual rights (including warranty) by the credit company under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

Was the company that's ceased trading:

a) providing the warranty, and
    b) who you bought from?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    As above did you buy from Husky ??
    If so warranty is likely to be null and void . But that depends upon the administrators and if / how they sell the company .In effect count it as no warranty as most are not transferred .

UK law that's consumer regulations against the vendor not manufacturers warranty .
  • DoaM
    edited 6 February 2018 at 2:57PM
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    UK law that's consumer regulations against the vendor not manufacturers warranty .

Hence why I asked questions a) and b) ;)

If OP bought directly from the manufacturer then the warranty forms part of the contract. As such the CCA Section 75 makes the credit provider jointly liable for the performance of the contract - including any warranty terms. (Whether the credit provider would be able to honour the warranty terms may be a separate question - it really depends on what those terms are). :)
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    DoaM wrote: »
    Hence why I asked questions a) and b) ;)

If OP bought directly from the manufacturer then the warranty forms part of the contract. As such the CCA Section 75 makes the credit provider jointly liable for the performance of the contract - including any warranty terms. (Whether the credit provider would be able to honour the warranty terms may be a separate question - it really depends on what those terms are). :)

Even if he bought direct the warranty has nothing to do with his consumer rights. It just so happens that the rights under consumer law cover anything that may have been in the warranty and he would be chasing them as the seller.
  • cooket3
    cooket3 Posts: 33 Forumite
    Sorry for the delay.

The warranty came with the Heat pump I bought with Husky. It was not an after market purchase.

The "Protected by UK law" was a phrase I took from the warranty page. I just need to know by what law!

Currently I cant even find anything that says they have ceased trading, just my email I got from their staff. I have tried emailing others and ringing up but nothing works
  • DoaM
    unforeseen wrote: »
    Even if he bought direct the warranty has nothing to do with his consumer rights. It just so happens that the rights under consumer law cover anything that may have been in the warranty and he would be chasing them as the seller.

I believe your understanding is a little misguided. If you buy direct from a manufacturer then any warranty terms offered by the manufacturer are part of the contract, therefore subject to S75 rights. (A manufacturer warranty when buying from a 3rd party seller are different - in that case they're not part of the contract insofar as S75 is concerned).
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,434 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    DoaM wrote: »
    (A manufacturer warranty when buying from a 3rd party seller are different - in that case they're not part of the contract insofar as S75 is concerned).

On what basis? ...I appreciate that this is going off topic.

If a supplier sells me a manufacturer's warranty, and that warranty is not carried out as described (because the manufacturer goes bust or for some other reason), the supplier has breached the contract with me.

How is that part of the contract excluded from s75?

(...assuming the £100 minimum, and other criteria are met.)
  • Sorry to be changing the subject but does anyone know a plumber who has worked with Husky heat pumps? Now they have ceased trading it would be great to know if anyone has used a plumber who knows the system. I have phoned my local plumbers and they have never heard of Husky and said they couldn't help.

Many thanks
  • miss_pb wrote: »
    Sorry to be changing the subject but does anyone know a plumber who has worked with Husky heat pumps? Now they have ceased trading it would be great to know if anyone has used a plumber who knows the system. I have phoned my local plumbers and they have never heard of Husky and said they couldn't help.

Many thanks

You should start a new thread in the appropriate forum, In my home should be best.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure