Scam of the day

Options
Morning all!

Just thought I would share the fun filled morning I have had!
Woke up this morning to a confirmation my laptop had been sold on eBay which was nice to wake up to, I also woke up to about 5 messages from the buyer, three requests for invoices and two messages asking me to tell him my paypal email address or send a payment request to him via email. I told him that my paypal address should be on my eBay account?

He then started communicating directly via email, and told me that he had paid me via paypal and had payment proof and that I needed to send it right away as it was a surprise present for his cousin in Nigeria. Checked Paypal - no funds of course.

I regularly check my spam email incase anything important slips through - two messages from Paypal and eBay - the Paypal ones telling me I wouldn't get my funds until I emailed their customer service department with the tracking number (apparently Parcelfroce is now a courier :rotfl: ) and one assuring me that the buyer was a legitimate customer (also typos here) and the best one was the one from eBay stating "We would advise you to proceed with the transaction and ship the item, the buyer is a trustworthy person and it has been confirmed by us"

I emailed Mr Buyer and said thanks for trying to scam me but it's not going to happen and to have a nice day

Currently being spammed with emails threatening to report me and that "you know what happens then" and then emails saying he doesn't know how to pay on eBay so that's why he paid directly to my paypal (with imaginary money :rotfl: )

Relisting it is then!
Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want :hello:

Comments

• ballisticbrian
    Options
    Just reply saying you have a million pounds that you are having trouble transferring into Nigeria and would he hold the money for you, and you'd be willing to split it with him 10% for his trouble. ;)
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • onedaysomeday
    Options
    Just reply saying you have a million pounds that you are having trouble transferring into Nigeria and would he hold the money for you, and you'd be willing to split it with him 10% for his trouble. ;)

I do wish I'd thought of something like that :rotfl:
    Just trying to make up for past mistakes and work towards the future I want :hello:
  • onedaysomeday
    Options
    I've just an email from eBay informing me of a suspicious buyer who had bid on my laptop and that they will cancel any of his bids - miles ahead of you eBay :)
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I've just an email from eBay informing me of a suspicious buyer who had bid on my laptop and that they will cancel any of his bids - miles ahead of you eBay :)

I sold an item for about £40 to a zero bidder last week. No payment in the first few hours, but gave them the benefit of the doubt.

Five days and three reminders later I decide to raise a NPB case, as soon as I enter the item number eBay tell me that, as the buyer is no longer a registered user, they will immediately refund all my selling fees.

For some reason it didn't occur to them that this information might have been useful to me a little sooner. :p
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    A few years ago I had a customer contact me to ask if I'd sent them a second chance offer on an item I'd sold, they were suspicious about the email. It wasn't from me and they forwarded it to me. I spent the next few hours exchanging emails with someone in Nigeria trying to sell me my own stock. He remained perfectly polite even after he'd twigged what I was doing.
  • onedaysomeday
    Options
    All fun and games on the internet :rotfl:
  • Africat
    Africat Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I only list as 'buy it now' with the 'requires immediate payment' option selected.
    That way I don't have to deal with non payers...

Don't forget to block him unless Ebay have already removed him.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The shame of it all is that despite the scam being laughable and obvious, someone will still fall for it and blame ebay or paypal.

Just look at other threads on here, people still sending payments to strangers via paypal friends and family!

It doesn't matter how obvious and how poor these scams are we must remember to keep warning about them, perhaps one day we might be able to save someone from a scammer. Keep threads like this coming, we want everyone to see these scams for what they are.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • onedaysomeday
    Options
    Africat wrote: »
    I only list as 'buy it now' with the 'requires immediate payment' option selected.
    That way I don't have to deal with non payers...

Don't forget to block him unless Ebay have already removed him.

Believe it or not I did actually set it up that way, he just somehow managed to avoid paying immediately :A
    soolin wrote: »
    The shame of it all is that despite the scam being laughable and obvious, someone will still fall for it and blame ebay or paypal.

Just look at other threads on here, people still sending payments to strangers via paypal friends and family!

It doesn't matter how obvious and how poor these scams are we must remember to keep warning about them, perhaps one day we might be able to save someone from a scammer. Keep threads like this coming, we want everyone to see these scams for what they are.

Yes I did sit double checking the emails I got from Paypal as they looked very similar to the real ones, only things that stood out for me were the use of my email and not my name, and a typo, but for quick glancers or new users this will probably get past them :(
  • curl_girl
    curl_girl Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    soolin wrote: »

What's the difference with PayPal f&f please?
    Tia.
    curl girl with a space - even though there is no space in my cupboard!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure