Add your feedback on energy supplier Iresa

Comments

• phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 February 2018 at 6:35PM
    I've had no problem with Iresa, but then of course I haven't wanted them to do anything other than provide a bill and take money.

Now I'm trying to switch away they've blocked me because my electricity account is in debit, they haven't actually billed me for January yet but there was a credit on my electricity account last week, but they put a mysterious transfer through on my electricity account with a description of "transfer" that took the balance to "0.00 (in debit)".

So time for a stroppy phone call and then on to the energy ombudsman.

Update: I was on the phone for an hour (I started at 30 in the queue), it appears that Iresa are ignoring ofgems guidance and automatically blocking all switches away when there is any negative balance on an account. They are only allowed to block a switch if they have requested money which I have refused or have been unable to pay.

Iresa don't like to keep you in credit because they pay interest. One of my accounts was in credit and the other in debit, after netting one off against the other I had a 0.00 balance on my electricity account and -1.91 on my gas account. I still have an active direct debit & they could have requested that 1.91 at any time.

It took me a while for me to persuade the customer service agent that Iresa were not following ofgems guidelines, even his supervisor was not aware. However I pointed him to this letter

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/system/files/docs/2016/07/decision_on_review_of_domestic_objections.pdf

I have now raised a complaint and will pursue it.
  • Iresa's billing system has gone into melt down. I switched away in January. After switching they produced a final gas bill and I had a small credit. Now the account is showing £2669.24 as they have added the final bill 30 times. The fun part will be if they try to collect that.

Can't see this company surviving long. Its a pity that OFFGEMs ineffectiveness is allowing them to inflict misery and worry on their customers.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's now 15/2, and no sign of my January bill yet. Has anyone had theirs?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    macman wrote: »
    It's now 15/2, and no sign of my January bill yet. Has anyone had theirs?

Nope - but the Account charges page is spot on to 31st Jan (taking account of their estd. 31st Jan. reading)
  • JenniferK wrote: »
    Iresa's billing system has gone into melt down. I switched away in January. After switching they produced a final gas bill and I had a small credit. Now the account is showing £2669.24 as they have added the final bill 30 times. The fun part will be if they try to collect that.

Can't see this company surviving long. Its a pity that OFFGEMs ineffectiveness is allowing them to inflict misery and worry on their customers.

I hope that you have downloaded all your previous bills and also copies of the previous account transactions.

We are in the process of moving from Iresa, so to be on the safe side I am taking screen shots of the account on a virtualy daily basis, just in case they start messing with the figures.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    edited 15 February 2018 at 10:45AM
    We are in the process of moving from Iresa, so to be on the safe side I am taking screen shots of the account on a virtualy daily basis, just in case they start messing with the figures.
    It's quite easy to "save" browser pages to local computer - just as quick as taking screen shots. (just make sure that all transactions are selected -click "100" at the top).

Question. If in credit at leave date, is it prudent to stop the Direct Debit or does that prevent credit pay back?
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,810 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Their interest calculation has gone loopy. My daughter has been running a credit of around £25 after billing. Interest has been around 15p per month, this month 47p ! I see a correction coming.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    molerat wrote: »
    Their interest calculation has gone loopy. My daughter has been running a credit of around £25 after billing. Interest has been around 15p per month, this month 47p ! I see a correction coming.

Not the only thing that has gone awry according to these latest TP reviews:

Quote Iresa's billing system has gone into melt down. I switched away in January. After switching they produced a final gas bill and I had a small credit. Now the account is showing £2669.24 as they have added the final bill 30 times. The fun part will be if they try to collect that. Unquote

Quote Probably the worst energy company I've ever dealt with!! No reply from email or tickets on the website ever! Stupid and ridiculously long ques on the telephone for customer service line Added over £2,600 in one month to my gas bill. Just stay away from them at all costs! Unquote

One wonders what Ofgem is actually doing about it? Perhaps MSE could find out.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Sorry to repeat my question. I have a leaving date (today!) and will be in credit (both elec and gas); I've just received email of upcoming Direct Debit. Should I cancel it?
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,092 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I HATE HATE HATE Scottish Power. My first problem was in 2009 when they billed me £1700 for 3 mo the gas and electricity on a 2 bed terraced house. I disputed it with no luck and still have the default for that one showing up on my credit report.

2nd time was when i moved in to my current house in 2012 the prepayment meters were already on Scottish Power so I just stuck with them and changed it over to my name. No problems until 2015 when I changed supplier then recieved a bill for £2000 for electricity from late 2013- early 2015 despite me being on prepayment meter. They said they never recieved payments for 18 months.

There were hundreds of phonecall and emails with no success and in the end I went to the ombudsman who decided in my favour (dec 2017) that Scottish Power should amend the account balance to £0 apologise and give me £50 compensation which they did.

That's not the end though, when i was having a skint week in January this year my electricity went off once again so I called my current supplier to see why it's costing so much and they made me aware that Scottish Power had applied a debt to my meter and had recovered £620 off me through that despite me never owing them anything.

Cue more emails and telephone conversations, this time their tactic was to act stupid and only discuss the ombudsman case which was solved before I realised about the meter. I've given up now. They can keep it. It's too stressful.

I'm with economy energy now they're fine. Never had any problems with British gas or utilita either.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure