Derry Girls

Comments

• Cherryscone
    Cherryscone Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I enjoy It but all the face pulling is ott
    ~We are all going to hell and guess who Is driving the bus~
    *Norn Iron club Member 294* (Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE Forum Team)
  • Best episode was number 5 - the "punt purse" etc.

Like a lot of programmes on TV now, far too much unnecessary bad language for my liking. Very uncouth
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 February 2018 at 11:13AM
    I enjoy It but all the face pulling is ott

Not that its related but your wee blonde girl that plays Clare and does a lot of the face pulling is actually 31...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1965552/?ref_=tt_cl_t3
  • motorguy
    Any one watched London Irish - Lisa McGees previous show?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3183264/?ref_=tt_rec_tt
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    motorguy wrote: »
    Any one watched London Irish - Lisa McGees previous show?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3183264/?ref_=tt_rec_tt

I have heard of it, is it worth a watch?
  • joefizz
    joefizz Posts: 676 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    steveymp wrote: »
    the acting could be a bit OTT in certain scenes

From my memories of spending time in Derry in the early 90s the acting is understated ;-)
  • tara747
    tara747 Posts: 10,238 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I love it, it's hilarious.
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £180,000 by 31 Dec 2020! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733 * 2018: £136,565 * 2019: £161,957 * 2020: £197,685
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
  • motorguy
    Cotta wrote: »
    I have heard of it, is it worth a watch?

I watched the first episode last night - Language is much stronger and its much more "adult themed" but i thought it was very good.

Well summarised from a review on IMDB - "London Irish centres on the daily drinking habits of four Northern Irish housemates living in London, inspired by the writer's own experiences. Although aspects of the four characters' daily lives enter in to the show every now and again (i.e. going to work), the show is driven almost exclusively by the group's pre-drinking shenanigans and post-drinking headaches. The comedy relies predominantly on the characters playing off each other's wildly different personalities. For instance, Conor's mind-bending lunacy acts as the perfect foil to his sister's, Bronagh's, inexhaustible aggression. Alternatively, Niamh's attitudes towards sex and men, which would be viewed as inexcusably sinister had they been expressed by a male character, are rendered comically creepy by the fact that they are delivered by an extremely petite, sweet-looking girl. While the actor playing Packy seems to have been cast mainly as eye-candy, he is also the most relatable of the characters, being the one who most often attempts to explain Conor or Niamh's idiocy to them. Although the show plays on Irish and English stereotypes quite considerably, the show parodies a drinking culture that most UK viewers will be familiar with. Foul-language and politically incorrect statements are commonplace, so any viewers anticipating the restrained, frustrated, socially awkward comedy of Father Ted (broadly implied by casting Ardal O'Hanlon) will be in for a shock. Altogether the show has many laugh-out-loud-moments and is just generally good fun."
  • Cherryscone
    Cherryscone Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    motorguy wrote: »
    Not that its related but your wee blonde girl that plays Clare and does a lot of the face pulling is actually 31...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1965552/?ref_=tt_cl_t3
    Yeah I read that nust be the fresh Derry air she looks 12:rotfl:
    ~We are all going to hell and guess who Is driving the bus~
    *Norn Iron club Member 294* (Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE Forum Team)
  • Honkycat
    Honkycat Posts: 499 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Fresh Galway air in her case!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business