PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Offer reduction - no build regs

mallen
mallen Posts: 92
First Anniversary First Post
Forumite
edited 7 February 2018 at 7:56PM in House buying, renting & selling
I am currently in the process of buying a house which has no building regs for chimney stack removal, fireplace and dormer conversion. This was done over 22 years ago.
My solicitors are chasing the vendor again and they believe there may have been an indemnity policy floating around.

I am thinking my options are:

1. Reduction on price (how much, 5%?) and indemnity policy.
2. Retrospective building regs - How much does this cost?
3. Pull out the sale

I do like the house but it isn't a forever home, we would be looking to move in 3-5 years and I fear this will cause me problems when trying to sell.

Also the house has been advertised on Rightmove as a 4 bed even though one of the rooms are the dormer which has access though a small staircase at the back of smallest 3rd room.

I believe it to be price right for a 3 bed (not a four bed as advertised)

*URL removed by forum team - shortened URL*

I have a building surveyor going in on the 24th..

Comments

• You are entitled to do any of those but how your vendor would respond to the first one would be a matter of guesswork.

While newer properties have a bad reputation hereabouts they are a lot less likely to suffer these kind of 'legacy' issues.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    This is the third thread you've started on what is basically the same problem:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5789010

Why do you fear it will cause problems given the advice we've already given? I doubt a future buyer would ask for anything more taxing than an indemnity policy - which is the cheap and easy solution, if anybody thinks this is a problem in the first place.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Are you using a mortgage? If so it might be worth asking your solicitor. The lender might have particular requirements.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596
    Forumite
    Are you using a mortgage? If so it might be worth asking your solicitor. The lender might have particular requirements.
    It's very unlikely that a lender will have peculiar requirements. It'll be down to the solicitor's interpretation of the standard CML Handbook requirements, which is likely to come down to "get an indemnity policy on the safe side". So either the seller's existing one (if they have one) is acceptable, or the seller is asked to get a new one, or the OP gets one.

Retrospective consent is tricky for older alterations, and merely asking the question of the council means you can't then fall back on an indemnity policy.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,781
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Thread three. Most of us here are regulars and you will continue to get the same replies, regardless of how you word the question.

Building regulations for loft conversions are different than they were two decades ago. Even a loft with a certificate back then wouldn!!!8217;t get one now. It is not an option to you. But it also displays the absurdity of trying to apply the same standard to this old conversion as you would for one completed yesterday. It would be far more important to have a certificate for recent work.

If the loft is structurally sound then I am not sure how it is worth 5% less. If it is sound it is sound, if it is not then you walk away.

Have you asked for a building regulations certificate for the house from when it was built? If not, why not? Under your logic, if a bedroom is not a bedroom then the house is not a house without a certificate and is therefore free, nevermind asking for 5% off. The likelihood is that nobody (specifically your mortgage lender) has asked for the certificate for the house because it is too old to bother with. Your loft conversion is also of an age. The only real question to answer is whether it is structurally sound and fit for purpose.

Indemnity policies are purchased up and down the country every single day. Your vendor bought one, somebody else will be fine with one too. You can ask for an arbitrary discount for your pocket but I am not sure you will get it.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    your first 2 options are a waste of time.

Your 3rd option is a matter of choice.

And this 3rd thread is also a waste of time.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970
    Forumite
    Spam spam spam.

:spam:
  • csgohan4
    csgohan4 Posts: 10,587
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    OP what do you hope from a third thread, no one is going to tell you what you want to hear, but the reality generally
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land/Estate Agents"

G_M/ Bowlhead99 RIP
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport