emsywoo123 Posts: 5,440 Forumite
    Options
    daisiegg ....... you've snuck onto your OH's PC haven't you :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • daisiegg
    daisiegg Posts: 5,395 Forumite
    Options
    emsywoo123 wrote: »
    daisiegg ....... you've snuck onto your OH's PC haven't you :rotfl: :rotfl:

I have indeed! AND I even have a cup of tea in here. PERILOUSLY close to the keyboard. What a rebel. Well, if he will work late...
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I would have thought that when a child is old enough to be going out on their own (e.g. walking to school and back) then it would be a good idea to get them a basic phone. This would most likely be at secondary school age. The age for the all-singing-all-dancing iPhone type things would be when they're old enough to carefully look after something so expensive - so probably late teens.
  • moomoomama27
    moomoomama27 Posts: 3,823 Forumite
    edited 25 April 2012 at 9:19PM
    Options
    My eldest DD had a mobile phone for her 9th birthday, but only because we lived in an area with a three tier school system and I wanted her to get used to a phone for when she would walk to school alone (aged about 10). We are now in an area with a two tier school system so my other children will get a mobile in readiness for starting secondary school, so about the age of 10/11 before that they will have no need for one. They don't go out alone, and wont until at least the age of 11 so it's a non issue.

It will also be a cheapie phone, certainly not an Iphone FGS ;)

As for facebook, no facebook here until they reach the age of 13+
  • missblonde
    missblonde Posts: 41 Forumite
    Options
    Some of these links might be helpful for parents considering mobile phones for their children:

www.saferinternet.org.uk/advice-and-resources/a-parents-guide
    www.thinkuknow.co.uk/parents
    www.thinkuknow.co.uk/parents/Primary/Growing-up-online/Mobile/

The main problem with giving children smartphones is that they aren't just phones, they are effectively mini-computers. Sometimes mixing children with phones, cameras and the internet, even with sensible kids, there can be disastrous and damaging (emotional and criminal) long term consequences such as cyberbullying, grooming, access to inappropriate content and sexting.

The Think U Know site is run by CEOP who have excellent advice and information for parents and carers about online risks children face whether it's via a computer, games console or mobile phone. They also have information for parents about underage use of Facebook.
    "Born to shop, forced to work!"

• raven83
    raven83 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What i find amusing is that the OP is against mobiles, yet lets her children go on facebook, and to me that is so much worse as any one could add them and talk to them, makes me shudder thinking about it.

But to the orignal question, i don't see the point of a child having a phone at the age of 9, my oldest DD1 who is 9, has got friends that have had their( top of the range mobile's i might add!) since they was 7!!! Which i think it just absolutly pointless and IMO ridiculous! DD1 has said she would like a phone but i have said she can have one once she is in year 6, as by then i will start letting her out on her own etc, so be useful for her to have. Luckerly she and my DD2 who is 8, haven't expressed any interest in Facebook, just as well because that would be a big fat NO! They both have friends that have been on Facebook since they was in year 2, i think it's appalling personally that the parents can justify letting them on such sites! It's just all so wrong.
    Raven. :grinheart:grinheart:grinheart

• moomoomama27
    moomoomama27 Posts: 3,823 Forumite
    Options
    raven83 wrote: »
    What i find amusing is that the OP is against mobiles, yet lets her children go on facebook, and to me that is so much worse as any one could add them and talk to them, makes me shudder thinking about it.

But to the orignal question, i don't see the point of a child having a phone at the age of 9, my oldest DD1 who is 9, has got friends that have had their( top of the range mobile's i might add!) since they was 7!!! Which i think it just absolutly pointless and IMO ridiculous! DD1 has said she would like a phone but i have said she can have one once she is in year 6, as by then i will start letting her out on her own etc, so be useful for her to have. Luckerly she and my DD2 who is 8, haven't expressed any interest in Facebook, just as well because that would be a big fat NO! They both have friends that have been on Facebook since they was in year 2, i think it's appalling personally that the parents can justify letting them on such sites! It's just all so wrong.

Totally agree with every word!

Young children with i phones, and facebook accounts good grief!
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    Options
    Completely incorrect.

I just checked online and a 8gb 3GS iPhone is £319?
  • Sparklebabey
    Options
    My DD is 8 and has an iPhone.

Could I ask you why you chose an iPhone as oppose to a run of the mill bog standard phone? Am just really curious...was it for the games or music or something? I wonder what the other parents also think? I think I would be pretty shocked if my child came in and said their friend had an iPhone at age 8....maybe this is something to do with the situ on the other thread you have posted on? Just thinking out loud...maybe the parents have a perception of what the child/you are like??

Personally I view Iphones and BB's as handheld computers so they are not for children (in my own opinion I hasten to add). I wouldn't be happy to let a child sit un-supervised for hours on a PC so why would I let them either take a 'PC' out with them or sit in their room/on the couch and use them.

I love my BB I really do but them I am a grown up (sadly!), I love I get access to my emails immediately but I can always get on the net due to hotspots and it would chill me to think that children could have the access that I do at any time.
  • raven83
    raven83 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    Options
    Could I ask you why you chose an iPhone as oppose to a run of the mill bog standard phone? Am just really curious...was it for the games or music or something? I wonder what the other parents also think? I think I would be pretty shocked if my child came in and said their friend had an iPhone at age 8....maybe this is something to do with the situ on the other thread you have posted on? Just thinking out loud...maybe the parents have a perception of what the child/you are like??

Personally I view Iphones and BB's as handheld computers so they are not for children (in my own opinion I hasten to add). I wouldn't be happy to let a child sit un-supervised for hours on a PC so why would I let them either take a 'PC' out with them or sit in their room/on the couch and use them.

I love my BB I really do but them I am a grown up (sadly!), I love I get access to my emails immediately but I can always get on the net due to hotspots and it would chill me to think that children could have the access that I do at any time.

Oh this haas become quite the norm very young children having iphones, at my childrens school some people in her class have them, and i often see kids in the play ground come out with iphones, blackberry's etc! Comes to something when an 8 year old has a better phone than you do.....:eek:
    Raven. :grinheart:grinheart:grinheart

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport