PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

House Buying - Regrets & Boo-boos

Options

Comments

• CarbonImage
    Options
    Just to add, I disagree with people saying that you should go as big as you can from the outset. Especially if you are young and not settled. Consider your own circumstances and likelihood of change.

Since we moved in, OH has unexpectedly quit her job to re-train as she wasn't happy and I now support both of us (for the time being). It would've been impossible if not at least much more stressful to cope had we gone for the size of mortgage our adviser was pushing us towards.
  • yorkie18
    yorkie18 Posts: 1,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Saga wrote: »
    Structural or Home Buyer's?

A Home Buyer's at the very least. We've had no problems with our home but I just wish we had done it!
    Be Kind, Work Hard, Stay Humble, Smile Often, Keep Honest, Stay Loyal, Travel When Possible, Never Stop Learning, Be Thankful Always and Love
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    I'd not buy a doer-upper on a pension!

I'm not even on a pension (no income) and am trying to avoid a doer-upper.
    Private shared driveway! Never again.
    Yes.... they seem to attract the wrong sorts, doing the wrong things, because they see it as "do what you like here"
    sst1234 wrote: »
    ... go big early.

I'd mostly agree with that. Go as big as you can/dare (without daft risk taking) because the further "up" the (fictitious) ladder you're reaching each time you've got a much larger choice if you have to go downwards and rely on equity to get as close to mortgage-free as possible.

My tip is: Marry a rich tradesperson with skills and a large family, preferably one who has family wealth so that you never have to worry about cost/affordability/fixing it/improving it/getting work done :) I failed at this, I've always been single. :)
  • johnathan45
    johnathan45 Posts: 79 Forumite
    edited 20 November 2019 at 5:12PM
    Options
    1. Underestimating how noisy a road could get. We thought our brains would get used to it. Lived there for 4 years and hated it.
    2. Large garden with plenty of bushes. It looked great when we bought it and didn't realize how much time it takes every week.
    3. A mile is too long to walk every day, particularly when it's dark, cold and wet.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    If I'd my time again, I'd not buy a doer-upper on a pension!

Nice description of yourself, Dave!
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Early buys should be considered as stepping stones.

Bigger can be better but you want something that has other characteristics that make it a solid step as in most cases you need it to sell.

Some upgrade potential is useful.
    Solid target market
    Downturn resistant.
  • Skiddaw1
    Skiddaw1 Posts: 2,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I agree with the large garden thing.

Our previous house had a 90ft garden which included several mature trees and which had been neglected. It took me years to get on top of it (and it wasn't until I no longer had to work that I was really able to get it the way I wanted it to be). It was a labour of love and I enjoy gardening very much, but never underestimate how much work is involved in keeping on top of a big garden especially during the growing season.
  • montymouse
    Options
    Skiddaw1 wrote: »
    I agree with the large garden thing.

Our previous house had a 90ft garden which included several mature trees and which had been neglected. It took me years to get on top of it (and it wasn't until I no longer had to work that I was really able to get it the way I wanted it to be). It was a labour of love and I enjoy gardening very much, but never underestimate how much work is involved in keeping on top of a big garden especially during the growing season.

The house I grew up in had an absolutely enormous garden - going on for an acre maybe - and my parents could never keep on top of it. They spent many a day off toiling in the garden, which always seem to end up a jungle anyway.

Nevertheless, us kids had a great time - hacking our way through the undergrowth, having bonfires, camping out. :j
    Also, there were fruit trees galore - apples, pears, and also raspberry canes, gooseberries, rhubarb. It was a happy garden.
  • walwyn1978
    Options
    Make friends with tradesmen early and use them as a second opinion on prospective houses you’re interested in and buy them lunch/a drink/bung them a few quid as a thank you for their time. We only cottoned onto this in the past ten years and before that would rely on what the survey said, which of course as we know can be vague at best, miss things or simply not be able to pick up things that are wrong, or panic you with stuff that to the unaware can make you spend biggish money (eg wiring not being up to modern regs)
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Purple Bricks - would avoid houses marketed by them or at least have a frank chat with the vendor about their seriousness about selling. So much time wasted.

See we had a very positive experience with Purple Bricks - two in fact! The first house we didn't view in the end, as the seller messaged in good time to say that she had accepted an offer. The second house is the one that we bought.
    Skiddaw1 wrote: »
    Do your research when you find somewhere you like. Think about all the cons as well as the pros. It's so easy to get blinded by the 'I want to live here!' factor. It's hard to be objective but you really have to be.

Definitely agree with this. There's a lot to be said for gut feel, but barring one estate agent f*** up (see below) we only viewed houses that met our criteria. I had a spreadsheet and everybody laughs at me for it, but it worked! It had everything from must have/nice to have/won't touch to commute averages, flood risks and crime stats for the area. I've done another spreadsheet for my next car. :rotfl:

I would say...

Don't trust estate agents. We were looking in two areas, and in the first area, I spent a lot of time looking on Rightmove etc, researching properties and filling in the aforementioned spreadsheet. Only when I rang to arrange viewings, I think out of something like 8 properties I could only arrange a viewing on 1 - the others were all off the market. That one - despite me saying we didn't mind cosmetic work as long as the property was liveable - had a ceiling you could see through and I'd be amazed if it were mortgageable. It was also massively over priced. In the second area, I signed up to all the local estate agents (took an hour or so of phone calls) and only short listed the properties they sent me. We were able to view everything we wanted barring one where the seller had a family emergency or something.

We have private parking outside the house and a shared driveway/access road. Not had any issues with our neighbours at all, but it could all do with resurfacing and obviously it'll be faffier than if it was all ours. If there's a next house, we'll make sure we avoid this.

I did underestimate one thing that is important to us, and that's the garden - in contrast to some of the complaints here, I wish we'd known we would like a large garden. What we have is a decent size, but ultimately I think that's the thing that would lead to us moving in the future.

We had a survey done and the surveyor mentioned about the house needing some cosmetic work, a good clean etc. We hadn't noticed, even with two viewings, but when we moved in it was really disappointing. I've actually since found out that getting the keys to a dirty house is extremely common, but I wouldn't dream of doing that to somebody else. I think there's a difference between giving it a quick once over and down right dirty - particularly when it's somebody else's dirt! I would allow time to clean before unpacking, if you possibly can.

Lastly, our seller took down built in wardrobes that were on the fixtures and fittings list as being kept. We didn't mention it in the end (they were also pratting about past the time they were meant to be off - luckily we weren't in a chain or anything) but maybe we should've done as it meant us buying another wardrobe. Just didn't seem worth the hassle in the end.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure