Washing machine spin cycle problem

My washing machine is a Hotpoint Electronic 1050 De luxe and is about 25-30 years old. For some time the spin cycle has only worked intermittently and when it does work it doesn't always reach full speed. I can't see any pattern to when it does or doesn't work. Could anybody suggest the possible cause of the problem or what part needs to be replaced? I don't want to replace the entire machine as it's otherwise reliable and does everything I need it to do (when working properly).

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    When were the motor brushes last changed ? At that age it could well be the brushes or commutator bar on the motor that is worn.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My washing machine is a Hotpoint Electronic 1050 De luxe and is about 25-30 years old. For some time the spin cycle has only worked intermittently and when it does work it doesn't always reach full speed. I can't see any pattern to when it does or doesn't work. Could anybody suggest the possible cause of the problem or what part needs to be replaced? I don't want to replace the entire machine as it's otherwise reliable and does everything I need it to do (when working properly).

Machine Motor Carbon Brushes
  • molerat wrote: »
    When were the motor brushes last changed ? At that age it could well be the brushes or commutator bar on the motor that is worn.

I've had the machine for about 16 years so it's been at least that long since anything in the motor has been changed. Is this something a reasonably competent DIYer could do?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Looking up the model it seems this is not a front loader but an old fashioned top loader. These have a different drive mechanism with a mechanical centrifugal clutch similar to a chainsaw, they are a whole different ballgame. Probably easy DIY but different to diagnose.
  • molerat wrote: »
    Looking up the model it seems this is not a front loader but an old fashioned top loader. These have a different drive mechanism with a mechanical centrifugal clutch similar to a chainsaw, they are a whole different ballgame. Probably easy DIY but different to diagnose.

Yes, it is a top loader. According to the service manual (which I got when the drainage pump needed replacing) the motor is a 'reversible permanent split capacitor motor with centrifugal clutch between shaft and drive pulley'.

So as it's a top loader, does this mean it might not be a motor problem at all?
  • tallmansix
    tallmansix Posts: 1,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Have you checked to see if it is still under warranty?
    YNAB enthusiast and extreme coupon-er.
    Discounts, coupons and cashback:
    2019 = £1,443.52
    2020 = £1,191,76
  • poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The machine is probably regarded as being vintage now and you might be able to sell it to a collector or restorer for a decent amount of money. You might be able to fix it, but it's now at an age where you might end up chasing your tail with repairs.

Unless it has some sentimental value to you, I would consider buying a new machine rather than risk throwing what may become a continuous amount of money at it to keep it running. I get that there is a "old machines are better" thing, but is it economical to keep a machine of that age running, especially if you're not able to repair it?
  • poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,936 Forumite
    tallmansix wrote: »
    ... :rotfl:
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    tallmansix wrote: »

They haven't been made for 20 years!

Get a new clutch kit, they're fairly easy to fit & can't cost much. A quick look says about £30.

Or, if you want to save the planet & your electricity bill, buy a new front loader.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • JohnB47
    JohnB47 Posts: 2,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    My washing machine is a Hotpoint Electronic 1050 De luxe and is about 25-30 years old.

What an amazing example of how well built these sort of machines once were.

Then they found out how to make things that lasted only so long, typically just longer than the guarantee period and the throwaway society was born.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure