Replacing external utility meter housing

I have two external meters for elec and gas respectively. The housing is the original that came with the houses so around 40 years old.
The Elec meter housing has deteriorated so badly to the extent the cover no longer stays on...it worked for a few years but now even the hinges have rotted and snapped. I've used strong tape last few years to keep it on but it's not practical for meter readings.
What's the most cost effective way to change them? Or is it a case of measuring and ordering online then finding someone to remove.old casing and fit new one?
If it's of any relevance EDF is our supplier and we haven't put a smart meter in yet. I am also a carer for my elderley mother who does receive certain benefits but to my knowledge I would be surprised if this qualified for any form of assistance?

Comments

• What do they look like

Surface

5-DCADBF5-5281-4-B0-B-BD66-A93-E1-CE6-A098.jpg

Build in

93-BC0-D02-7314-4790-9-B9-D-DB79-BC756818.jpg
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,505 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    A neighbour had smart meters last year and the first job the meter fitter did was to replace the build in meter box
  • ka7e
    ka7e Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    The meter box is your responsibility and you can replace it if you wish. Your network operator (not EDF) can arrange a free site visit to ascertain if your supply has to be switched off for a replacement box to be installed. They will be able to quote for putting a new box in or repairing the existing box but you will probably be able to employ someone direct if it's cheaper. They would have to co-ordinate with the operator if the power supply has to be interrupted.

You can find your operator at https://www.energynetworks.org/info/faqs/who-is-my-network-operator.html
    "Cheap", "Fast", "Right" -- pick two.
  • daveyjp wrote: »
    A neighbour had smart meters last year and the first job the meter fitter did was to replace the build in meter box

The meter fitter would not have replaced the box, for starters they aren't qualified to remove pipe work or incoming mains supplies, both of which will need to be done to replace built in electric/gas boxes plus they are the responsibility of the home owner not the supplier
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure