2»

Comments

• Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 August 2012 at 5:47PM
    pvt wrote: »
    So you're advising the OP to lie then?

Edit - actually that's a bit harsh - I guess your suggesting he gets the EA to lie, which is their stock in trade anyway. I suppose that's more acceptable.
    actually I misread the OP re the parking and thought that the OP had given permission for the neighbours to use the parking area (though not the drive).

But it wouldn't be a bad idea for the Op to say the neighbours could use it; would save the hassle of sending letters which would then lead to the issue of having to report a neighbour dispute (as you yourself have pointed out)to a potential buyer and give the impression the house is occupied. Further, if the neighbour could use the actual parking area and not the driveway, well, problem solved. Plus, the neighbour might appreciate the olive branch being offered re the parking and ensure visitors no longer use the driveway and it's all been sorted nicely.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Valli wrote: »
    actually I misread the OP re the parking and thought that the OP had given permission for the neighbours to use the parking area (though not the drive).

But it wouldn't be a bad idea for the Op to say the neighbours could use it; would save the hassle of sending letters which would then lead to the issue of having to report a neighbour dispute (as you yourself have pointed out)to a potential buyer and give the impression the house is occupied. Further, if the neighbour could use the actual parking area and not the driveway, well, problem solved. Plus, the neighbour might appreciate the olive branch being offered re the parking and ensure visitors no longer use the driveway and it's all been sorted nicely.

It doesnt get over the issue of putting buyers off
    for all they know they could be moving beside people who rule the driveway and will be a constant issue.
    getting permission to use the driveway is hardly going to encourage them not to when they do it now.

personally if i could,I would move in for a bit and make a point of enforcing the driveway situation on site
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,771 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I'm not suggesting that the OP allows use of the driveway as he has said it's not wide enough; I'm suggesting that the OP allows use of the parking area outside the house for sale, as a sweetener.

OP were there parking problems when your mother-in-law lived there, to your knowledge?

As pvt said, if a dispute starts then that too will be an issue - and that in iteslf will put prospective purchasers off.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Go speak to a big doorman at a local nightclub. See if he has a mate who does freelance work and who can go tell the neighbours to move their cars or they might get scratched.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • pvt
    pvt Posts: 1,433 Forumite
    Go speak to a big doorman at a local nightclub. See if he has a mate who does freelance work and who can go tell the neighbours to move their cars or they might get scratched.

LOL I like this.

Or you could advise them that you won't be liable for any damage to the parked cars left on the shared driveway when your 12-year-old son uses it to practice his driving, and tell them you're worried he might scratch his 1991 Renault 5 when he tries to squeeze past them.

:A
    Optimists see a glass half full :)
    Pessimists see a glass half empty :(
    Engineers just see a glass twice the size it needed to be :D
  • CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative
    CAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Posts: 117 Organisation Representative
    Hello homesandcastles

You sound as if you are in a very difficult situation. This link will give you some information http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/housing_e/housing_problems_where_you_live_e/neighbour_disputes.htm#Commonneighbourdisputes

We would advise against not telling the truth and it is also a good point that if yo go to court you will have to put this on the information form when the property is sold. It is also not a good idea to inflame the situation

I would suggest that you talk with the agent about visiting at times when there is not likely to be any one there. You could also arrange with the neighbours to show people around at set times and get their agreement to move all the cars.

You may also want to go round about 15 minutes before the agent is coming to ensure that the drive is clear or put your car there. I know its a nuisance but if you want to sell the house then you may have to keep on it until it is sold.

If all this does fail then you may need to go to court by do try and resolve matters first
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
  • mttylad
    mttylad Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You can also point out to them that their actions are causing you to lose a sale of your property and you can take them to court for your losses.

You have a right to access your property and they must not block it, by doing so they would be seen as in the wrong by the courts if it went that far. An injunction would very likely be granted also.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure