W I V Internatianal Wines

Options
I received some mail today, asking a few questions about my wine drinking habits and offering a free wall clock and 6 bottles of wine for responding.

The company is W.I.V, Dallow Road, Luton, Beds, LU1 1UR

It all looks pretty reasonable, and the WIV website (wiv-ag.com) looks professional.

Has anyone tried this before? My concern is that I will suddenly get a unrequested box of wine on a regular basis with a demand for payment.

However, if it as above board, I do enjoy my wine, especially if I can get 6 free bottles.

Comments

• BFG_2
    BFG_2 Posts: 2,022 Forumite
    Options
    No problem

If you receive unsolicited boxes of wine and you haven't signed anything to say you want them, reply to the sender asking them to collect them at a time to suit you, and if they don't collect in 7 days you'll charge them storage and after the storage costs are more than the goods are worth, drink the wine!!
  • I got one of these letters as well. It went straight in the bin.

The little clock looked great, but it isn't just a case of filling in the questionnaire and getting the clock.

They want your phone number so they can arrange delivery of the clock.

Now call me cynical, but I get the feeling they want your phone number so they can pester you into buying some wine from them - otherwise, they could just post the clock onto you, as they have your address anyway.

A scam to put pressure on you to buy their (probably) overpriced wine.
    Wha's like us - damn few, an' they're a' deid
    :footie:

Competition wins:-
    July - Magic mince cookbook (first win)
  • Annie_M_2
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. I'll take a pass on the offer this time. Being bugged by more phone calls isn't what I'm after.

Cheers.

Annie M
  • bap98189
    bap98189 Posts: 3,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I received one of these letters today too. It seems too good to be true.

There is a very short survey and it says if you reply they will send you a free wallclock and "a sampling of 6 specially selected high quality wines - of course free of charge and without any obligation to you."

Does this mean they are likely to send me 6 bottles of wine on a sale or return basis or am I likely to receive tiny bottles or plastic wrapped samples something?

It says practically nothing else - no small print - no nothing. They do ask for your phone number, but I am quite willing to take a sales call to get the free stuff, but not if the onus will be on me to return it.

It just seems too good to be true - and I am curious to find out what the catch is.
  • lfabargain
    Options
    Just got one of these letters as well today. I am tempted to send it back and like bap98189, I would be willing to listen to their "sales pitch" in order to receive the free offers.

Anyone sent their form back and received the call/goodies ?
  • hormygollop
    Options
    This is a genuine offer, the parent company is Pieroth wines. Upon completing the form a wine adviser contacted me and aranged the delivery of the clock, this also involved them bringing samples of wines to taste. I enjoyed the tasting and was so impressed with the wines I ordered a case. I have to say, that at no time was I pressured into buying, nor did it involve any "contracts" or "agreements" for buying future wine supplies. Overall I was impressed with not only the wines, but also the knowledgable way in which they were described. Total lenght of visit was around 1 hour.
    hope my experience helps

H
    :beer:
  • Justicia
    Justicia Posts: 1,437 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    This is a genuine offer, the parent company is Pieroth wines...(etc)

I apologise if I have got the wrong idea, but I find that post, it's wording and the "one-post wonder-ment" highly suspicious...

:confused:
    "Part P" is not, and has never been, an accredited electrical qualification. It is a Building Regulation. No one can be "Part P qualified."

Forum posts are not legal advice; are for educational and discussion purposes only, and are not a substitute for proper consultation with a competent, qualified advisor.
  • DesG
    DesG Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Justicia wrote:
    I apologise if I have got the wrong idea, but I find that post, it's wording and the "one-post wonder-ment" highly suspicious...

You are not alone!

Cheers, Des.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is very clear what happens. You send back the form and they contact you to come and visit you with some wine. A "pleasant" sales-girl comes, you have a few drinks and feel happy and relaxed, and are under an obligation to order something. Surprise surprise, the wine is rather expensive, but by that stage you don't care, and anyway they take credit cards ... Could be fun, but not a good way to save money!
  • hormygollop
    Options
    Justicia wrote:

Highly suspicious ? I wonder if people thought that of you when you placed your first post ?. Dont we all start with post number one ?

For your info I found this site while doing a bit of research prior to having a " wine tasting " and thought I would register. My user name is pretty unique and a search on google should show other forums I belong to.
    Hope this clears it up
    Cheers
    H
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills