One weeks notice to change standing order?

I have a monthly standing order to a company for £66.

I received an email from them on 24th sept demanding that their new bank account details be used from 1st October. Is this reasonable notice?
I missed the email and my SO went out on 6th October. They are saying that it’s my loss and I owe them £66 for October

They also did this less than a year ago, changed their bank details and were chasing me for the money I’d paid into the old account. (They had emailed me but my email provider had started to only show me a “focussed” selection of emails so I hadn’t seen them. )

Is there any way I can get my money back?

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,929 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Any reputable company changing bank accounts should either use the switching service that automatically redirects payments from old to new, or retain access to the old account for a period of at least months and preferably years.

It's not credible for them to claim that they were using an account in late September but that payments to it in early October have disappeared into a void and that you need to pay again, so you should insist that they resolve it with their bank rather than trying to put you on the hook to repeat the payment, especially if the only communication was a belated single email.

In terms of the fate of the old account, it'll either still be open (in which case the company will have access to the money) or if it's been closed then your payment will be bounced back to you by the bank.

Perhaps if you name and shame them here, other posters may be able to offer more specific guidance, as you're probably not the only one this will have happened to....
  • gardner1
    gardner1 Posts: 3,154 Forumite
    heyhoo wrote: »
    I have a monthly standing order to a company for £66.

I received an email from them on 24th sept demanding that their new bank account details be used from 1st October. Is this reasonable notice?
    I missed the email and my SO went out on 6th October. They are saying that it’s my loss and I owe them £66 for October

They also did this less than a year ago, changed their bank details and were chasing me for the money I’d paid into the old account. (They had emailed me but my email provider had started to only show me a “focussed” selection of emails so I hadn’t seen them. )

Is there any way I can get my money back?
    Well the money has left your account and obviously gone to their old account........and has it found its way to their new account;)........contacting your bank will be a good start
  • Personally I think a week is pushing it a bit - it can take 3-4 days just to amend a SO in some cases so that really doesn't give you much time to react. I'd also be careful about receiving an email saying to change the payment details to be used to pay a bill - always contact the person/company by an alternate method (ie. a phone number you trust) to confirm the changes, just in case their email has been compromised.

I would avoid sending a second payment. As has been mentioned, if their account has really been closed, the payment should either be redirected to their new account, or eventually bounced back to you. You could contact your bank to attempt to recall the payment, but that has no guarantee of succeeding, so should be a last resort. You may want to try asking the recepient to contact their bank - don't let them strong arm you into sorting out what in reality is their problem, not yours.
  • Are you sure the email was not fraudulent?
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,241 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    No reputable company should be informing you of changes to their bank details by email just before you need to make a transaction.
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary

Why would any company that receives regular payments from its customers change its bank details twice in a year?! Dodgy af!

If they had closed the old account the money would have bounced back. As it didn't, it means the account is still open. So they already have your money.

Could well be a fake email, otherwise this is a dodgy company. I wonder what services they are providing you?
  • Changing an SO can be done with online banking - takes a few minutes at the most.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport