DIY Speed Cameras and Signs on Public Road - Legal?

Comments

• Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    You see nothing wrong with people who have no business to do so potentially recording you every time you drive down a road just because they happen to live there? Hey ho.

When you think about it.... that statement is kind of dumb. You're in a public place, anyone can record you, regardless of their 'business'.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,794
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It does look to me that they are cameras, and I also wouldn't be happy with someone regularly recording my car driving along. It's just feels like an invasion of privacy by another individual.

A house at the start of my village has a fake 30 sign, but is it very obviously fake (about 3 times larger than normal and painted on wood). We do have a bit of a speeding problem and it just acts as a reminder,

Why? It happens 100's, if not 1000's of times every day as you drive along, what with all the public and private CCTV, ANPR and all the dash cams that are in use.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Ergates wrote: »
    Again why "probably"? Why, in the absence of any evidence either way, assume someone *probably* doesn't have any necessary planning permission for something? Just seems a strange assumption to make on the basis of nothing.

If you saw someone driving down the road in a car, would you assume they probably stole it? Do you assume that shopkeepers are probably fiddling their taxes?
    Because in my judgement it's extremely unlikely that the council would grant such planning permission.

Phone your local council planning department and ask them what is the likelyhood they would give you planning permission to put up speed cameras on your land and warning signs on BT lampposts.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    stator wrote: »
    Because in my judgement it's extremely unlikely that the council would grant such planning permission.

Phone your local council planning department and ask them what is the likelyhood they would give you planning permission to put up speed cameras on your land and warning signs on BT lampposts.

Those aren't speed cameras and we don't know if the speed signs are unofficial or in anyway linked to the cameras.
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,178
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    stator wrote: »

"Generally in the UK, you do not need planning permission to place a CCTV camera in or on any part of your property, whether a domestic house or a commercial property. However, you may need planning permission for CCTV if you live in a conservation area or if the property concerned is a listed building"
    https://www.cctv.co.uk/do-cctv-cameras-need-planning-permission/
  • JP1978
    JP1978 Posts: 527 Forumite
    So it doesn't matter either way yet you were quick enough to jump in and state that I was wrong.

I take it that's as near to an admission that you were in fact the one who was wrong when you stated that :
    "The DPA does not, never has and never will apply to private individuals." as we're going to get.

I hold my hand up and say I was incorrect - the material i had previously read and refereed to was, shall we say, easily read incorrectly and full of inaccuracies. You have prompted me to look at other sources that concur with your posts (in general).

Re the devices - it does now appear that they are actually cameras although it is very odd that there is no down angle on them, or at least that is the way the OP's pic portrays them.

They appear to be 'made in china' specials so that would I hope mean that they are not speed camera related (their type approval would be easily googled) so that means they must be private CCTV - but they are at that odd angle of vision.

Quite odd.
  • stator
    Forumite
    Car_54 wrote: »
    "Generally in the UK, you do not need planning permission to place a CCTV camera in or on any part of your property, whether a domestic house or a commercial property. However, you may need planning permission for CCTV if you live in a conservation area or if the property concerned is a listed building"
    https://www.cctv.co.uk/do-cctv-cameras-need-planning-permission/
    When they are attached to a massive erection they do
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I'd hardly call that pole a "massive erection"* - besides, it's not even clear from the photo if the pole is on private land. Those may well be council CCTV. Or that could be a council building. Or some other government agency. Or a private residence/business and they do have planning permission. Or they don't.

All we have is a picture of some CCTV cameras on a pole, somewhere in the UK. That isn't even close to enough information to start declaring that they "probably" didn't have planning permission for them. Or that they are in any way linked to some other road signs which may or may not be official.

*<insert joke here>
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Some people have enough time on their hands to be offended by things that don't effect them.
  • stator
    Forumite
    Ergates wrote: »
    I'd hardly call that pole a "massive erection"* - besides, it's not even clear from the photo if the pole is on private land. Those may well be council CCTV. Or that could be a council building. Or some other government agency. Or a private residence/business and they do have planning permission. Or they don't.

All we have is a picture of some CCTV cameras on a pole, somewhere in the UK. That isn't even close to enough information to start declaring that they "probably" didn't have planning permission for them. Or that they are in any way linked to some other road signs which may or may not be official.

*<insert joke here>
    I have enough information to be confident in my assertion. If you don't agree, fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure