fair price for drain repairs?

Recently had an issue with blocked drain. Advised to have repairs done as this was due too roots burrowing into the drain. The drainage issue has been carried out. Price below is for further works.

We advise that he has graded the root ingression and displaced joint in your drain as a RED fault and that a repair should be carried out as soon as possible in order to prevent further blockages and or damage to the run.

The works recommended are to carry out High pressure water Jet to remove the roots and then install 1 x Patch to seal the open joint.

Our quotation for carrying out these urgent repairs will be: £625.00 plus vat

Cambridge area.
Thanks in advance.
Back on the trains again!

Comments

• that
    that Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    is this on your ground and are you the only property using this pipe?

copper sulphate kills plant roots. bigger ones take longer. Pit some down your toilet and flush just before you go to bed. When the last person leave in the morning put some more down and flush.

Not a fix, but hopefully a delay. It normally does not kill the tree, just the roots that contact it.
  • davenport151
    davenport151 Posts: 647 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Combo Breaker
    edited 25 October 2018 at 7:22PM
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply.
    its only our pipe down to the main drain.

I don't think the issue is a nearby tree (but it could be) I had some bushes growing nearby which I have since removed.
    Thanks for the tip.

• It is difficult to say without knowing how long the run is from a rodding point, how deep the pipe is, the diameter of pipe (smaller is more difficult to work with esp patching), how much patching needed (2 inches or 2 feet etc).

Seems a little high, but if a complicated job maybe OK - I suggest you get another quote just to make sure.

Note that they identify and should advise you to remove the tree that is causing the issue - If it has invaded the pipework with roots now, it will again quite soon.
  • Hi Basiluk
    Thank you for the reply.
    Yes we thought quote was a little steep.
    I think I have removed the roots that were causing the problem.
    But, yes I will call our usual firm for a price.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport