Electric Heating and Hot water options

Hello I have recently purchased a new home. 2 bed and 1 bathroom, myself and gf will be living there. The property only has electricity supplied and no gas (gas is not supplied to the whole area) There is no boiler (it was there but removed) and 3 wet radiator's plumbed in and pipe work for hot water for bath, bathroom sink and kitchen sink. There is also a wood burner in living room and no radiator.
My question is what's the best and cheapest option in the long run regarding heating and hot water?
A electronic combi boiler? Rads look old and possibly need replacing. Also heard these can be expensive to run.
Or maybe electronic rads all round including living room and a boiler that only heats up hot water for the taps mentioned in place of a combi boiler?
Help would be appreciated as I have no knowledge of these systems at all.
Also I've heard of instant hot water heaters that go under individual sinks but I'm not keen on idea of these and cost to wire them to power. Thank you.

Comments

• Forgot to add we also have an electric shower and very rarely use a bath...like two in the past year.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Presumably you have a hot water tank? Then get an E7 timer for the immersion, and ask supplier for E7.

For heating, use direct heaters in the bedrooms, and 2nd hand storage heaters in living rooms. You can get a spur box timeswitch for these, so don't need to have new wiring put in if you keep under 7kw.

In the evening, top up living room heat with wood burner.
  • Thanks for the advice. There is no hot water tank, nothing but the copper pipes leading to hot water taps (3) and radiators (3). We would use very little hot water...like mostly jus washing a few pots. Maybe a electric tankless water heater for hot water needs would be cheaper overall.
    Thank you
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 2 October 2018 at 5:37PM
    What type of boiler was there previously? An electric combi would be the last choice, probably the most expensive form of heating out there and akin to burning £10 notes !

Price per kWh comparison of different fuels here https://www.confusedaboutenergy.co.uk/index.php/domestic-fuels/fuel-prices
  • jk0
    Forumite
    Elite1986 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. There is no hot water tank, nothing but the copper pipes leading to hot water taps (3) and radiators (3). We would use very little hot water...like mostly jus washing a few pots. Maybe a electric tankless water heater for hot water needs would be cheaper overall.
    Thank you

My aunt used to have one of these over her kitchen sink:

s-l300.jpg

Maybe you could get one and heat it overnight?
  • Thanks. Maybe my best option with regards to heating would be electric rads (used carefully so my bills arnt sky high) and wood burner for really cold nights. As electronic boilers seem a no no. A storage heater for hot water needs (heated over night) but don't feel I would use so much hot water, maybe a under sink inline water heater aleast for now.
    Thanks for the input guys
  • An electric combi was there previous but for some reason was removed. All the plumbing still there to radiators and taps. No idea why it was removed do know the property was a holiday let before hand.
  • jk0
    Forumite
    Electric radiators are going to be similarly expensive to run as an electric combi boiler.

The reason I keep banging on about storage heaters and off peak water heating is because it will be around half the running cost.

(You did ask what is the best and cheapest long run option.)
  • I have decided on a lpg combi as I don't use much heating or hot water. Oil is way to expensive to install for me. And don't feel storage water heater would be ideal for my needs as I need little hot water on demand rather than plan in advance to just wash the pots.
    Thanks for everyone's advice.
  • mrsyardbroom
    mrsyardbroom Posts: 1,946
    Forumite
    The people I've known who have had lpg have found it very expensive. Our neighbours over the road changed from lpg to oil for that reason.
    Don't mess with pensioners. :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport