New puppy training

New puppy arriving Sunday. Although I have owned a dog before it was about 20yrs ago before the use of crates was popular. So some advice please. This puppy is used to being in a large crate with rest of the litter and used to it being shut.
I would like to continue using a crate but not sure how to use it when toilet training. Do I put paper inside the crate for it to toilet on, or should I leave it open and use puppy pads( at night?). I will be around most of the day so want to start puppy getting used to going outside to toilet. Not sure what to do at night.

Also any advice on what I need to buy before puppy arrives. Bit overwhelmed by the number of products at the pet superstores.

Thanks

Comments

• klew356
    klew356 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Im not saying that this is the right answer but when my puppy was just little I put his bed on one side and the pad on the otherside of the crate, then when he was strong enough to last all night the pad was removed, I did used to get up super early to let him go to the loo but it was there for accidents, as I had a camera on him I could see when he was waking up. To start with the pad would be dry then when he could hear me come down the stairs and that tail started wagging he had to have a wee bless him. He was pretty easy to house train, he used a pad if desperate and there was always one in whatever room he was in. the key is taking them out side regularly and spotting the signs they are about to go. You don’t need half the stuff they sell but plenty of toys, chews, brush that kind of thing is good, the furniture wont get chewed if there is something there for him to chew
  • ceewash
    ceewash Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Yes I was thinking of putting a pad in crate at night, especially as she is used to being in the crate. Didn't know if this was the right thing to do.
    Do I need a different crate/ carrier for the car?
  • aylesby
    aylesby Posts: 461 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 20 November 2018 at 10:50AM
    We used a wire crate for our puppy. A pad is a good idea but dogs do not usually soil their beds. Use plenty of fabric that has your scent. We covered the crate to black out the light overnight which means locking the crate. Do not buy to big a bag of pads as you should not need them. Your crate should reflect the mature size your dog but you can recycle your puppy crate for trips to the vet.
    The crate became our dogs space that she reverts to when she wants.
    Choose a vet by talking to dog owners and open an account before the puppy comes.
  • klew356
    klew356 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I got one for the car, its easier being a different one, mine is a material one from pets at home, think it was 25 quid but it contains wet feet and loose hair and they feel secure, mine is actually on the back seat of the car but you can get straps to hold it in place. I recommend taking them for small trips in the car as early as possible now mine loves going in the car, and in his crate
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I never left pup in the crate long enough that he needed to toilet in it

Took the crate into the bedroom at night and as soon as he cried, I was up and out the back door with him

Took about 2 weeks before he was clean all night and by that time he was totally toilet trained

I don't know if she is still in vogue but the book The Perfect Puppy by Gwen Bailey was a godsend
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    For travel by car make sure that the crate you use is secure, my dogs are always in the boot of the car in secured metal crates.

The reason is for safety- it's the same as for children / people in the car- if they are'free agents' they could fly through the windscreen if an accident occurs.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Give the breeder a pice of bedding to put in the crate at the moment to get the smell of the litter on it. You then put that in the puppies crate when you bring her home.

Or the breeder may give you piece of the bedding currently being used.

If your crate is large- should be if you intend to use it during the day or for a while as the puppy grows- then put a smaller cardboard box at the back for her to sleep in. It will be cosier and easily replaced if need be.

Either have the crate beside your bed so you can react and take her out when she wakens or sleep beside her elsewhere. That way she does not learn to go in her crate/ indoors and house training will be quicker. No need to train to one place and then retrain to another.

Go out with every time and take her to the same place in the garden. Ignore her as she sniffs around etc but give her praise when she goes and give her a small treat where she goes before brining her back in.

Introducing a cue word when she goes so you can make life easier as you can then ask her to go before you go out or at bedtime etc.

When I see my pup shows signs of needing to go I ask 'do you want to go out' as I take her out. This encourages her to start to ask to go out.

Clean up any accidents without any fuss as she can't help it and it is your fault for not anticipating she needed to go.

Enjoy your pup.
  • ceewash
    ceewash Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thank you thats really helpful. Have you any idea of the size of crate needed. She is a border terrier.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Since there might be times when you want to use the crate when she is an adult- think after an operation- get one that will be large enough for when she is fully grown.

You can always block off part of the crate if it is too big to begin with.

She needs to be able to lie down, stand up and turn round comfortably.

If you intend to use pappy pads in the crate it needs to be big enough to place them away from the sleeping area.

Some dogs like to have a blanket over the crate to give some security and it will be warmer if in cool room overnight.
  • Personally, I think puppy pads just complicate the housetraining process and can mean it takes way longer than it needs to. You're teaching the pup that it should go to the toilet indoors (on the pad), before trying to teach it that it shouldn't. Just go straight to taking outside every hour and every time he/she wakes or after meals - choose a cue word and lots of praise for going. No pads in the overnight crate/bed - just take outside last thing and first thing and although you may have a few accidents at first, it does seem to work much quicker that way.

I've never used a crate personally, but as long as it's just used as a safe place and not a doggy prison then they can be useful for some dogs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure