What are we wearing to Christmas parties this year?

OK. What are we all wearing to Christmas parties this year?
I've looked round the high street, I've looked online - but I'm totally uninspired. And I need help!!

Some context - I'm 5'8" tall, size 10. I like to look good - maybe even a bit edgy. But I no longer do short skirts, and I'm not on the pull! And the classic 'black trousers and a nice top' is, frankly, boring.

I'm out for a works do - meal, disco, swanky venue - most people going are female and a lot younger than me - I don't want to let the side down.

All suggestions gratefully received.
No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...

Comments

• donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Nothing:D I don't go to them. :rotfl:
  • donnac2558 wrote: »
    Nothing:D I don't go to them. :rotfl:

I try to avoid them as well !

OP - what's the budget?
  • I never buy clothes from Marks and Spencer but they have a few decent bits in at the minute !

Incidentally I am 5'8 and size 10 (on a good day!) and am mid 40's !

Have a look here for inspiration - https://www.marksandspencer.com/l/women/partywear?intid=hp_car_2_3_151118_wwparty
  • trailingspouse
    trailingspouse Posts: 4,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 November 2018 at 12:45PM
    donnac2558 and gettingtheresometime - what a shame for you.

NI BOBS - I agree about M&S. When they have something I like, the quality is good and the price isn't bad - but sadly they rarely have anything I like. Thanks for the link.

In the past I've bought from Phase Eight and Desigual for parties and general dressing to impress, but I've not been inspired this year.

I like the 3/4 length wide trousers - but they seem to only be around as part of a jump suit - and I'm old enough to remember jumpsuits from the last time round, and the time before that. A nightmare if you need the loo!!! Don't really relish the idea of virtually having to undress every time.

And does anyone look good in a pleated skirt??

I've looked back through my wardrobe, and I own a couple of decent pairs of black trousers, a nice 'posh' top from Oasis, a black sequinned top that goes well with leggings, some leggings, and 2-3 occasion frocks that are much more suited to weddings than Christmas parties. And I've had all of them so long they could go and order a drink at the bar by themselves...

And it's not just the outfit!! There's the shoes/boots and the jacket to think about as well!

Re budget - if I could get change from £100 I would be happy, but if I had to go a bit over to get the right thing, that would be OK.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    No, it is not.

Boring people getting drunk, stupid Xmas music, an overpriced meal which is no doubt frozen and just heated up.

Just because I work with people does not mean I have to socialize with them.

I meet up with real friends and we just go for lunch(no turkey etc) or whatever don't have to get dressed and spend money on clothes you will no doubt never wear again.
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm going to a works Christmas party, and I have to say I am thoroughly looking forward to it. It is my first one in a few years

I am in the fortunate position where I actually really like the people I work with and would call them friends and we have a generous boss who I have known for 20+ years who has treated us to a fantastic sounding evening

My two best friends, I met at work, both in different, previous jobs - I will socialize with them over the festive period too, its not an either/or type of situation

I don't think I will buy anything special to wear though, unless I have a last minute panic
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • Well, donnac2558, I'm looking forward to this particular 'do', and I'm looking for something good to wear. If you don't go to parties, and think that people who do are boring, I'm not entirely sure why you bothered to reply to my original post.

Off to Leeds next week, looking for inspiration.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    No parties as such but 2 of us are trying to organise a get together in our over 60s housing complex.

There are 9 for Christmas lunch and the chief cook (that's me :D) will look glamorous I hope.

A few years ago M & S were selling a beautiful gold camisole and blouse which I loved but it was way outside my low budget. Imagine how happy I was to find it in a charity shop just after Christmas, in my size as well.
  • Murphybear - that sounds fun. Well done for stepping up to the plate! (Pun intended...)
  • heartbreak_star
    heartbreak_star Posts: 8,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    edited 16 November 2018 at 2:45PM
    I'm quite a bit shorter than you and waaaaay fatter, but I love me a pretty skater dress with good-quality comfortable leggings and neat calf/knee high boots :)

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport