At risk of being made redundant

Hi

It has been a few years since our last round of redundancies and we have a meeting later this week and am sure this is going to be the outcome (work in a school and we are getting less and less money). Having been through this once before and seen the way the rest of the staff behaved l don't think l have the energy to go through it all again so wondered if l should just go for it and take the redundancy.

My question is "If l take the redundancy would l be entitled to claim Job Seekers Allowance/ go back to college (my job is decreasing all the time and soon won't be there)? I am trying to work out what l want to do.

Does anyone know of an online site that tests you skills and gives a list of jobs that you are suited to?

TIA
Stash Busting Challenge 2016 6/52

Comments

• Kit1 wrote: »
    Hi

It has been a few years since our last round of redundancies and we have a meeting later this week and am sure this is going to be the outcome (work in a school and we are getting less and less money). Having been through this once before and seen the way the rest of the staff behaved l don't think l have the energy to go through it all again so wondered if l should just go for it and take the redundancy.

My question is "If l take the redundancy would l be entitled to claim Job Seekers Allowance/ go back to college (my job is decreasing all the time and soon won't be there)? I am trying to work out what l want to do.

Does anyone know of an online site that tests you skills and gives a list of jobs that you are suited to?

TIA

If you quit then you cannot go on JSA however if you take voluntary redundancy then yes you can because it is still redundancy, the argument is you are not volunteering to quit, you are volunteering that out of all the people that are going to be made redundant you want to go.. The employer does not have to accept your VR.

Not sure there is any site that will say what jobs you can do, you are probably in the best position to decide that.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Visit a recruitment consultant and have a chat about your skill set. It's in their interest to make suggestions, plus they'll do your cv too.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    buggy_boy wrote: »
    If you quit then you cannot go on JSA however if you take voluntary redundancy then yes you can because it is still redundancy, the argument is you are not volunteering to quit, you are volunteering that out of all the people that are going to be made redundant you want to go.. The employer does not have to accept your VR.

Not sure there is any site that will say what jobs you can do, you are probably in the best position to decide that.

Sorry a voluntary redundancy is not a redundancy - it is a mutual termination.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure