Consumer rights when buying a phone

6 months ago I purchase a brand new Samsung Note 8 (contract free) from an Amazon seller.
5 months after usage I dropped the phone (accidental damage) and sent it to my insurance company.
I was then told that they could not repair the phone with parts in stock due to it being from Hong Kong.

As a consumer there was nothing on the Product page to say it was not UK stock and it had different internal components that could not be sourced in this country.

I told the insurance company to hold while I speak to Amazon about the incident. This was the first time ever I have contacted Amazon since I started using them many years ago and though with my purchase history they would at least read my query.....

Since then I have spoken to the customer services team who have no idea what I am talking about. I have tried writing it to explain as well as speaking to them. I was asking if this sort of practice was considered legal as the product was misrepresented on the site. Each time I contacted them, I was refereed to the A to Z warranty team who would then in turn close my ticket saying it has been denied. I supplied proof for the phones origin (from the insurer) as well.

I have been without a phone for over a month trying to speak to Amazon... I gave up today and have asked the insurance company to import the parts required.

Is this sort of sale considered legal? had I bought from the high street I would not have this issue.

Comments

• Katapolt
    Katapolt Posts: 291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I imagine you paid a fair bit less than you would have if you had bought from the high street.

Personally i think this is one of the risks you take when buying online, and unless from Amazon itself, its down to the supplier you bought from really.
  • I actually paid more :)
    I wanted the grey dual sim one (which I could not find elsewhere).

So its risky to purchase things like this from Amazon.
    Never really thought about it until this occurred. I think there should be some regulation on things like this. It's like buying a car and when its delivered the steering wheel is on the wrong side!
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    So what exactly is the campaign involved here..?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure