IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Incomplete vrn entered

Options

Comments

• Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you enter "II" on the MOT check site it tells you " You must enter your registration number in a valid format", (so the technology does exist to prevent this happening):-
    https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/
  • pjr1525_2
    pjr1525_2 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Options
    Then surely this strengthens the argument that their machines are set to entrap motorists if they issue a ticket for a format that they know is invalid, a format for which the technology exists to warn about mistakes when entering VRNs. I'm pretty sure that because of the rarity of two character VRNs the technology should have, at least, given some kind of warning, If your intentions was to be fair and not regard this as a further opportunity to penalise, yes penalise, people who had paid the correct fee and abided by the main conditions of the contract. Many thanks Castle.
  • pjr1525_2
    Options
    Away from iPad for 3 days. Will pick up thread when I return. Thanks
  • pjr1525_2
    edited 21 April 2018 at 7:25AM
    Options
    Well,well,well. Just been directed to HXs main advertising site by bmpa insight. And this is what HXs statement of intent says: " we use ANPR in a manner that is fair to the land owner and the motorist. We cross reference every potential PCN to spot human error. We don't issue PCNs when you have imputted a digit or two wrong in a pay and display machine." Yet the wording on the signage in the car park states you must enter the "exact" vrn. I would appreciate opinions on this. As I've mentioned, early days yet, but would like to be forearmed. Thanks.
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    pjr1525 wrote: »
    Well,well,well. Just been directed to HXs main advertising site by bmpa insight. And this is what HXs statement of intent says: " we use ANPR in a manner that is fair to the land owner and the motorist. We cross reference every potential PCN to spot human error. We don't issue PCNs when you have imputted a digit or two wrong in a pay and display machine." Yet the wording on the signage in the car park states you must enter the "exact" vrn. I would appreciate opinions on this. As I've mentioned, early days yet, but would like to be forearmed. Thanks.
    I'm guessing there're 7 digits/letters in your number plate so only 4 correct ones leaves three missing; and their limit appears to be two.

Strange they only say "digits", does that exclude letters?
  • pjr1525_2
    Options
    There's a whole world of possibilities, starting with the contradiction of saying that they allow for human error then insisting that you enter the exact vrn or £100 PCN.

How can it be fair to the motorist if they supposedly allow wrong Imput, but not missing digits, surely the same thing?

Obviously they spotted the "human error" when they cross referenced, but still issued a PCN.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes of course they knew!
    I made a visit to the same machine this morning ( on foot ) the coin slot has a gate which prevents coins entering until vehicle details are entered. I Optimistically entered one letter, the letter I for obvious reasons and the screen flashed up " invalid plate " so I entered another letter I, this time the screen said "Press green button for ticket" and no other information. So it actually issued a ticket with the improbable, maybe impossible vrn of " II " the ticket, which I retain, has a number which I believe identifies the machine, also time, date, and amount paid. I appreciate foreign vehicles may use the car park, but "II".
    You should have filmed that on your phone, as evidence that the machine accepts non-VRNs, any old rubbish above one digit.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • pjr1525_2
    Options
    I've kept the ticket with "II" as the VRN.
  • pjr1525_2
    Options
    Just as a matter of interest while I was on HXs website I read their FAQs, supposedly sent in by motorists. They mention the "myths" found on various forums and warn you in no uncertain terms that if you do get a CCJ against you it will seriously affect your credit rating for a very long time and loads more stuff obviously carefully designed to frighten people into not contesting PCNs because all around the site there are glaring yellow buttons inviting you to "pay now". "Pay now" what an odious lot they are!
  • pjr1525_2
    Options
    Just kicking a few ideas around. On the PCN it states " We have requested your details from the DVLA as the registered keeper of the vehicle. (Through the reasonable cause criteria of pursuing an outstanding parking charge). Surely until a judge decides or you admit the liability then it should be "alleged" outstanding parking charge. On the the back of the PCN it also says "this unpaid charge" should the DVLA be giving out addresses if you're only being accused of an a non-criminal offence. (Naive?)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure