Childcare Costs discussion

Comments

• Fliss_M
    Fliss_M Posts: 695 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    No. they can be used for private nursery costs but once a child reached compulsary school age it becomes education not childcare and vouchers can not be used. Re the tax relief, you may find tax cutting in the "pure money" section has the answer?
    4 children, 2 cars, 2 full time working parents, large detached house and the will to save every money saving penny we can
  • GobbledyGook
    GobbledyGook Posts: 2,195 Forumite
    Hadwin wrote: »
    I'm a longtime reader first time poster.

My wife and I are toying with the idea of sending our son to Private School. He's 8 years old. Can we use child care vouchers? If not, Why not?
    If the answer is no, which knowing the HMRC it prob is, what's the most tax effective way to pay the fees and can I get tax relief.

No you cannot. The reason is they are childcarevouchers/tax credits, not education vouchers/credits.

In a boarding school set up they will pay towards the boarding fees as they are classed as childcare, but not the educational costs.
  • My husband earns £20,000 a year,my daughter is due to start school this year and I want to return to work. Would we be able to get help with childcare costs , as when I return to work we will lose our £326 ctc and the bus fares will cost me £59 4 weeks,this is why I waited for her to start school, I also have a 12 year old who in summer hols would need to be in some kind of child care/ holiday club . What is the income amount, to be eligible for childcare? I feel like we are stuck in a catch 22?!thanks
  • scotty1971
    scotty1971 Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    i would imagine with you oh salary and your new salary you wouldn't be entitled to much childcare costs, if any at all
  • diesel123 wrote: »
    My husband earns £20,000 a year,my daughter is due to start school this year and I want to return to work. Would we be able to get help with childcare costs , as when I return to work we will lose our £326 ctc and the bus fares will cost me £59 4 weeks,this is why I waited for her to start school, I also have a 12 year old who in summer hols would need to be in some kind of child care/ holiday club . What is the income amount, to be eligible for childcare? I feel like we are stuck in a catch 22?!thanks

Use the WTC/CTC calculator: http://taxcredits.hmrc.gov.uk/Qualify/DIQHousehold.aspx
  • Have you heard about OpenFamilyServices which has now been running for 9 months?

It's a free national online directory of family services containing information about Ofsted registered Childcare such as Nurseries, Pre-schools, Childminders and Out of School Clubs which qualify for funding.

There are also many Support Groups, Parent & Toddler Groups, Children’s Centre Activities and Targeted Services available to help with family life; as well as things to do for Leisure and Holiday Activities. The information comes directly from participating Local Authorities across England who verify the information to ensure its accuracy. Information about national services is also available in a single search. It collects information from Local Authorities and continues the Department of Education site which was so helpfully closed in March 31st 2010 after a multimillion pound spend. :j
    Anna
  • I am self-employed for 16hrs a week and my partner is full-time employed by someone. I am so confusioned about what I get from the goverment because I cant afford to keep my 2 year old son in the approved childcares for much longer. I dont seem to get much help money wise at all. I am really concerned, the goverment want you to go out and work but I am not going to do it much longer because of my childcare costs. I have worked all my life since I was 16 years old (I am 29 now) and dont want to stop working because I love it but I cant do this anymore. I do some work with my 2 year there but it is so hard, but having him at nursery for the 2 days lets me get it all done in the 16hrs instead of taking forever because I am having to stop and start. Can you give me some advice, please?

Thanks

Hannah Smith
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    what help you get depends on your income, so the more you earn, the less help you get

however there are options. are you or your partner able to buy childcare vouchers through your employers, via salary sacrifice.

your child is 2, when they turn 3 you will get 15hrs week funded childcare through the early years grant (quick google will give you all the info)

also maybe think longterm. your child will be in f/t education within 2yrs. if you stopped working now, could you easily get back into employment once they were at school and childcare wasnt such a draw on your income?

F
  • gamby111
    gamby111 Posts: 20 Forumite
    hi could any 1 tell me how i work my childtax credit childcare costs my son is in afterschool club 39 weeks at 22.00 per week and 13 week at 30.00 per week ive got it to 24.00 per week but im sure thats not right?
  • rpc
    rpc Posts: 2,353 Forumite
    Yes it is.

(22*39 + 13*30)/52

You pay 1248 per year, divide by 52 weeks gives you an average of £24 per week.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure